[SOLVED] Audio issues

Jun 14, 2020
So my PC has a mic jack and a speaker jack (no headset jack) so when I plug my earphone (with mic) into any of the ports, I can either speak only or listen only. When I tried to use a y-splitter audio cable, the output sound could be heard but the mic only emitted buzzing/screeching sounds and my voice could not be recorded. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Solution
First make sure this cable you got is actually a 4 pole to dual 3 pole adapter and not just a splitter. If it is, then try a different brand and make sure everything is plugged in properly. Test it with another computer also. What computer do you have exactly and the motherboard brand and model? I don't think I have seen a system without a headphone output in many years.
First make sure this cable you got is actually a 4 pole to dual 3 pole adapter and not just a splitter. If it is, then try a different brand and make sure everything is plugged in properly. Test it with another computer also. What computer do you have exactly and the motherboard brand and model? I don't think I have seen a system without a headphone output in many years.

Solution
Jun 14, 2020
Yes I have checked it is a 4 pole to a dual 3 pole adapter. I’m using the MSI B450M VDH Pro Max. I tried both the front panel (case is tecware nexus evo) and the back panel and both have the same issue. Will test it out with a different brand although I’m not sure which android brand of earphones to test with. Thank you

Yes I have checked it is a 4 pole to a dual 3 pole adapter. I’m using the MSI B450M VDH Pro Max. I tried both the front panel (case is tecware nexus evo) and the back panel and both have the same issue. Will test it out with a different brand although I’m not sure which android brand of earphones to test with. Thank you

I meant a different adapter cable not a different headphone, although that is a good idea also if you have other sets to try. The line out on that motherboard is for both speakers and headphones, it's not really a speaker jack, I thought you had something actually labeled for speakers.

As in the front panel (the case one) labels it as speaker. So should I try to plug my Apple headphones into the back panel and if so which colour jack should I plug it into.

Green is normally audio out. But you did not specify you were using Apple earbuds, those are wired differently than standard ones so you will need a specific adapter to split those into audio and mic. I don't think I ran across an available adapter for those that can easily be found. Do a web search see if you can find something. I think the ground is moved to a different location on apple wired earbuds.

Last edited:
Manage to solve the problem by using another wired earphone from skull candy. Found out that the issue was the adapter I bought was not compatible to the Apple wired earphones

Yep, like I said, the apple headphones are wired differently and standard adapters won't work with them. This is why details like what you are using are important to trouble-shoot, you only mentioned you were using Apple headphones in passing in a later post which gave us the clue as to where the issue is. You don't know how many posts are done and it takes days to even find out what people are using, usually it's things like "my computer won't turn on, what's wrong with it" and it's like pulling teeth to find out that 10 posts later that they have a 20 year old computer they spilled a pot of tea on or something.