[SOLVED] Audio jacks ports are not working

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
Hello guys,
I have on-going issue basically since i changed my CPU from ryzen 1300x to 3600 none of my audio jacks working.
I am using audio jack on my monitor where are my speakears connected. When i tried to use back or rear audio jacks none of them works.
In a sence that it is apearing in sound manager as realtek high def sound speakers, when i am playing something it is even showing that the audio is working the slider goes up and down accordingly, hovewer i can not hear anything also my microphone is not working as well.
I have tried reinstall drivers realtekl, also i have disabled and unnistalled nvidia audio driver. I have set realtek audio as default in sound setting, also i have enable realtek audio in BIOS as well. None of that helped only prompted me to restart PC, after restart even instalation of realtek drivers started hovewer when finished i still can not get any sound from my audio jacks.

Before i was using my back audio jacks constantlly without any issue.
Also it is strange that since i instal realtek drivers i do not have that realtek controll pannel also it is not showing where i plug device to which jack etc, as it was back in the days.

I am really desperate i have already wasted many many hours in order to fix this but not succesfully, i do not have my GPU connected via HDMI but via Display port.

I am really out of options i can not even buy decent headset as all of them are on jacks, USB onces are used basically only for office uses.

I even bought external sound card but that last like a month now it is already broken and i have to fiddle with it in order to get proper sound, otherwise it is muted or only one part of headset is working.

My PC is:
Mobo a320
CPU ryzen 3600
16gb ram
Geforce 1060 3gb
2x HDD 1tb each

Win 10 with latest updates.

I am really really desperated at this point. Thank you so much for any advices.

Solution
OK, got that. I have had a similar situation, but it did not cause me to lose all audio. I got a new computer for my birthday this summer, much of an upgrade, now using Win 10 64-bit. The new mobo has Realtek audio on it and I'm using that, but I do not have an added video card so I have not had to deal with two audio output devices on this computer. However, I did want to sort out a few details of the sound system, and that includes the missing screens for specifying which device you just plugged in on the back. I found the Realtek website pretty useless for driver locating. I found several posts in various places on the web saying that the earlier Realtek drivers all had a problem with the newest revisions of Windows, causing several...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have run into a limit of Windows. No matter how many audio output devices your computer has, Windows can only use one at a time.

Then the other factor is "standard" designs of mobos. There has never been any standard way for the audio outputs from a sound card OR an audio chip on a mobo to send those sound signals to a video card. Right now you have a video card connected to your monitor using an HDMI cable, I bet, and you DO have sound from the speakers of the monitor. How is that done? Well, the VIDEO card has its own audio output chip on it so it can send out those signals on its HDMI output socket. So that's a second audio output device in your machine, in addition to the Realtek system on your mobo. Apparently (since you get sound at the monitor) Windows is using that video card system as the default sound output device. That means it is NOT using the Realtek system on the mobo, and hence there will be NO outputs from the jacks on the back panel of your system outputs or from the front panel jacks, and possibly no use of the front or rear Mic In jacks.

You can manually change this when you want to, as long as you realize that you can get sound output from the rear panel jacks, OR from the monitor speakers via the HDMI cable from the video card, but NOT both simultaneously. Click on the icon at the bottom left corner and choose system ... sound. Find where you get to choose sound devices. There should be two similar selections to make. One will be for the Default Sound Output Device, and there you will see the Realtek system on your mobo and another named like your video card. Choose the one you want and back out, and that's where your sound will come from. The other choice you have in there is the Default Sound Recording Device, and that probably should be set to your Realtek system unless you have something else you need to use. You can come back here and change the setting any time.

Erik_28

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
I already tried to unnistal and disable nvidia sound HD, while i reconnect speakers to back Jack and set realtek audio as default but no differnce no sound come via Jack. I am not using hdmi but display port but i guess that is basiclly the same.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, got that. I have had a similar situation, but it did not cause me to lose all audio. I got a new computer for my birthday this summer, much of an upgrade, now using Win 10 64-bit. The new mobo has Realtek audio on it and I'm using that, but I do not have an added video card so I have not had to deal with two audio output devices on this computer. However, I did want to sort out a few details of the sound system, and that includes the missing screens for specifying which device you just plugged in on the back. I found the Realtek website pretty useless for driver locating. I found several posts in various places on the web saying that the earlier Realtek drivers all had a problem with the newest revisions of Windows, causing several features to disappear - like, the plug-in screens! I found a couple of suggestions for where to get a previous driver that MIGHT work with the new Windows - it did not. I found a list of exactly what .exe file supplied with the Realtek software should be used to get that feature to work, and it does nothing. It appears the clash of Windows vs. Realtek just disables it completely. So I gave up trying to find those screens and use them.

The way that the Realtek system in my new mobo is configured is quite different from what I had in my old system - and it was quite old. When I click on Settings ... System ... Sound, I get a screen that lets me choose between my speakers or the Realtek Digital Output (I have no other audio output system). Do not choose the Digital Output. Then there's a Device Properties link I can click to get a few items, and low on that is Additional Device Properties. That gets me Speaker Properties with 4 tabs. One shows the three rear jacks my mobo has and tells me what they are, but I don't see any way to change what they are supposed to have plugged into them. The Levels tab has the master volume for output at the top, and sliders for volume of inputs IF you are using the some jacks that way. The other tabs I don't use. Back on the General tab there is a place to ensure this device is Enabled.

Only other item I can suggest is this. At bottom right of your main screen there is a speaker icon. Right-click that and choose Sounds. In the window that pops up, choose the Playback tab and click on the Speakers at the top. Now at lower left of that window click on the Configure box. This starts up a Wizard to step through the settings you can make. The first screen allows you to specify what speaker system you have and to test them. The Test button runs a series of sounds through all the speakers one at a time. Also at upper right there is a diagram of the speakers, and you can click on one speaker to test it only. If you click on the NEXT box at lower right you get a screen to specify exactly which speakers you have with check-boxes. Clicking Next again pulls up a screen for special use if you do not have a subwoofer. And the Next this time will get you to the end of the Wizard to confirm your settings or abandon them and quit. Maybe you'll stumble across someting that helps. But I certainly do not find that the tools are easy to find, and they are not the old Realtek way.

Solution