Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2020
I have the blow configuration.

Motherboard - MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Graphics Card - Gigabyte Geforce 2070 Super
TV - Samsung 75 |In 4K
AVR - Denon 1912 (Non 4K model)

My issue is that i have to connect my Video Out from Graphics card to my 4K TV and also connect audio from my PC to my AVR directly.

As my graphics card has only 1 HDMI out and 3 display port, i am left with three options
  1. Audio out through motherboard HDMI to AVR, video out through graphics card HDMI to TV
  2. Audio out through motherboard S/PDIF Toslink to AVR , video out through graphics card to TV
  3. Audio out through Graphics card HDMI to AVR , video out through graphics card Display port to TV (Will have to use display port to HDMI convertor as TV does not have display port input)
Question 1: Are the above mentioned three options practical?
Question 2: If yes - which option is better ?

Last edited:
Solution
I understand Spdif is one option.

What about the third option
"Audio out through Graphics card HDMI to AVR , video out through graphics card Display port to TV (Will have to use display port to HDMI convertor as TV does not have display port input)"
I'm not sure if you can output audio only from one DP or HDMI port while using another for display out. I've never actually tried that before. You will still need to run two cables either way, so it's probably better to just use a Toslink optical cable instead of spending money on an DP to HDMI cable and risk it not working on the TV as well as not being able to output audio from an HDMI port at the same time.

I would just go with the simple and more likely to work option of HDMI...
I just deleted everything I wrote because I miss read, but instead of deleting the post, I'll just respond with a proper answer.

The only way to output audio from your motherboard HDMI port is if you have an AMD APU CPU like the Ryzen 2000G/3000G series CPUs and also I believe only if you have an AMD discrete GPU like an RX 570. The Nvidia GPU will likely disable the GPU on the Ryzen CPU.

Your best options for audio are either S/PDIF Toslink from the motherboard or if you can input five analog channels to the AVR from the motherboard .

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
Yes - i have Ryzen 3600.

But i want to confirm about hte point you mention - will the dedicated GPU disable the onboard (motherboard) HDMI - in such a way that i will not be able to use it for audio out ?

What about option 2 & 3 i mentioned - will those work

• Audio out through motherboard S/PDIF Toslink to AVR , video out through graphics card to TV
  • Audio out through Graphics card HDMI to AVR , video out through graphics card Display port to TV (Will have to use display port to HDMI convertor as TV does not have display port input)

Yes - i have Ryzen 3600.

But i want to confirm about hte point you mention - will the dedicated GPU disable the onboard (motherboard) HDMI - in such a way that i will not be able to use it for audio out ?

What about option 2 & 3 i mentioned - will those work

• Audio out through motherboard S/PDIF Toslink to AVR , video out through graphics card to TV
  • Audio out through Graphics card HDMI to AVR , video out through graphics card Display port to TV (Will have to use display port to HDMI convertor as TV does not have display port input)
You don't have the option to use the HDMI out on the motherboard at all since you don't have an AMD APU. The audio driver for the HDMI port comes from the GPU driver, which you can't install without the GPU being enabled, which you don't have.

Since your receiver does not handle 4k and I'm assuming you want to use 4k resolution over HDMI, the motherboard audio outputs or Toslink output from the the back of TV to the receiver are your only options.

May 19, 2020

"Audio out through Graphics card HDMI to AVR , video out through graphics card Display port to TV (Will have to use display port to HDMI convertor as TV does not have display port input)"

I'm not sure if you can output audio only from one DP or HDMI port while using another for display out. I've never actually tried that before. You will still need to run two cables either way, so it's probably better to just use a Toslink optical cable instead of spending money on an DP to HDMI cable and risk it not working on the TV as well as not being able to output audio from an HDMI port at the same time.

I would just go with the simple and more likely to work option of HDMI from GPU to TV for the picture display and Toslink from motherboard or rear of TV into the AVR.

Reactions: soodgautam
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.