Audiophiles Like Games, Too: Hands On With Antlion’s Detachable ModMic 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Who needs a mute switch? Every game I have played has been press-to-talk. So the game mutes it when that key is not pressed.

Skype isn't push to talk. Nor does Teamspeak.
also, many games can be set to not require a button press.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Teamspeak can be setup to use PTT, Skype is a PITA for online gaming (IMHO). I prefer Vent personally, use Skype the most... so a mute button is very important

basketcase7

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
They also have a version without the mute switch. If you have no need for it, you'll save a few bucks getting the mute-less version.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Seems a bit silly to give you a case for something that's going to be attached to something else which won't fit in it. Even if you can remove the mic.

Why not save a few £££ off the price and ditch it.

Carvertron

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Seems a bit silly to give you a case for something that's going to be attached to something else which won't fit in it. Even if you can remove the mic..

I think lots of people could be going to LANs, tournaments, and in general travel with the ModMic, so the case may not make sense for everyone but seems like a good thing to include.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Seems a bit silly to give you a case for something that's going to be attached to something else which won't fit in it. Even if you can remove the mic..

I think lots of people could be going to LANs, tournaments, and in general travel with the ModMic, so the case may not make sense for everyone but seems like a good thing to include.

Can confirm, the case is nice when you take the headseat with you places.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
It's a great idea and implementation. However, I'd really like to see a wireless option.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just picked up a set of RS 185's because of...wireless, but now if I want to chat with some one I need to swap over to my shitty old broken wired headphones.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
although casual or players who don't lead in games do use push to talk, raid leaders in mmos etc can't really push to talk, the mute version is really useful there.

JJF9210

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

This solution has been out for just as long as modmic. It cost a little bit less, is already omni-directional, and you don't have to mount it.

sithtis

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

wow serioulsy???

Teamspeak/ventrilo/skype

I guess you dont play with any friends do you

XANX

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I've been using the ModMic 4.0 (unidirectional muted) for a good few months now, and I can say for sure that it's a damn fine mic. Also, Idk what's up with those magnet problems, but mine never falls off, and the magnet feels strong enough, and with the cable clips attaching the mic to my headphone cable, it definitely doesn't seem like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
I've been using the ModMic 4.0 (unidirectional muted) for a good few months now, and I can say for sure that it's a damn fine mic. Also, Idk what's up with those magnet problems, but mine never falls off, and the magnet feels strong enough, and with the cable clips attaching the mic to my headphone cable, it definitely doesn't seem like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I've since come to realize that the way the earcups rotate on the 7H's may have something to do with the mic falling off when hanging.
I've never had it come loose while it's on my head.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

I would stick it on the flat part where the cable plugs into on mine.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah this looks great! I've always wanted something better than Zalman clip on that costs less than $100. I agree that I won't be needing the mute button... always used applications that do PTT. I placed my order for modmic last week... still waiting for shipping confirmation email :x still waiting for antlion to answer my emails. hoping that will be an easy fix, looking forward to using this mic!

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Resolved: Antlion got in contact with me today. They seem to be swamped with orders, but they shipped my order today. They might need more staff lol! Good company though, looking forward to using the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.