[SOLVED] AutoCAD build low performance

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hello everyone!

A couple of months ago I built a budget system for AutoCAD mostly for 2D drawing. Now I've encountered some rendering to do (not so much) and hatching and my experience has been...well not the best.

System is a ryzen 3 3200g with Vega 8
Asus prime b450 csm/a
16 GB DDR4 RAM Kingston in dual channel at 2666mhz
Kingston a400 480gb SSD
Windows 10 64 bits 1909

AutoCAD being used is a free student key 2020 version 64 bit.

Maybe I'm missing some drivers of AMD...I've installed all motherboard ones and chipset...dont know if I need one for the Vega 8...

Do I need a graphics card? I was thinking GT 1030 but that card is so close to Vega 8 performance that I feel I'm throwing money. I should be doing 1050ti/1650 instead but those are pricey now.... I'm surprised this CPU can game but cannot render o load a bunch of lines in a single DWG... Performance feels sloppy and to be honest not only on AutoCAD but also browsing windows. Bare in mind that I'm comparing with a 5600x (in my other system)

I need some advice please!

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Solution
Are you sure you've installed AMD Radeon software(gpu driver)? You need to install it so your Vega 8 would function as it should be.
problems solved after buying a 1050ti. But i was capable of giving it a boost with AMD adrenalin software before the GPU arrived
There is a big difference between 2D CAD and 3D rendering where you need far more processing power and indeed more RAM. Rendering surfaces is far more demanding.
You indeed need a dedicated GPU and AUTOCAD recommend 4 GB GPU with 106 GB/s Bandwidth and DirectX 11 compliant.

There are other apps alternative to AUTOCAD for 2d and 3d

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Yes, but performance feels off in general 2d drawing. Cursor is sloppy within commands and drawings. Even hashing ( painting a region with a solid colour in 2D destroys performance) I know I'm GPU bound but I want to make sure I am not CPU bound either...

Feb 18, 2021
Hello everyone!

A couple of months ago I built a budget system for AutoCAD mostly for 2D drawing. Now I've encountered some rendering to do (not so much) and hatching and my experience has been...well not the best.

System is a ryzen 3 3200g with Vega 8
Asus prime b450 csm/a
16 GB DDR4 RAM Kingston in dual channel at 2666mhz
Kingston a400 480gb SSD
Windows 10 64 bits 1909

AutoCAD being used is a free student key 2020 version 64 bit.

Maybe I'm missing some drivers of AMD...I've installed all motherboard ones and chipset...dont know if I need one for the Vega 8...

Do I need a graphics card? I was thinking GT 1030 but that card is so close to Vega 8 performance that I feel I'm throwing money. I should be doing 1050ti/1650 instead but those are pricey now.... I'm surprised this CPU can game but cannot render o load a bunch of lines in a single DWG... Performance feels sloppy and to be honest not only on AutoCAD but also browsing windows. Bare in mind that I'm comparing with a 5600x (in my other system)

I need some advice please!

Thank you for reading!
Are you sure you've installed AMD Radeon software(gpu driver)? You need to install it so your Vega 8 would function as it should be.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
problems solved after buying a 1050ti. But i was capable of giving it a boost with AMD adrenalin software before the GPU arrived

Solution