Avoid Toshiba SCSI CD-Rom Drives

G

After attempting to update the firmware on my XM-6401TA 40X SCSI drive with no luck, I contacted Toshiba's tech support.
Their answer to my problem? Send the drive in and we'll flash it for you, at your exspence that is.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the need to pay someone to do a simple flash and to pay for shipping to get it done.
I have the latest firmware from the firmware page and the flash utility. My problem is that the flash utility from Toshiba only sees my ATAPI LS-120.
The ASPI layer is properly loaded since there is an O/S on this system.
I'm using a Symbios 53C825 controller.
The moral here is unless you don't need or want to keep the firmware on your drive current, buy something other than a Toshiba drive.

G

Hi, gnslngr!

Why, thanks for the warning. That is something to bear in mind.

Anyway what could you say about your SCSI DVD? I'm interested in buying (possible SCSI) a drive...

bye, atrelio

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Man I feel your pain. I have had too many Toshiba products die right after the warranty expired. I make it a point to never buy Toshiba products.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Atrelio,
I don't own a DVD drive. Why? Well, I'm one of those who thinks that if you want to watch movies, get a player for the TV.
My computer has other uses. Not to say that if that's what you want to do with your system you shouldn't.
I just don't see the value of a DVD for my wants and needs at this time.
That could change though.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know about DVD (although I'm getting it in my new computer), but I've had a TV tuner in my computer for a year now, and I couldn't live without it. Sometimes I just want to quickly check the TV without going away from the computer. And I usually leave TV on in a window while doing other things like e-mailing & Browsing.
So I'm sure I'll find uses for DVD too:)