[SOLVED] Avoid Video Details Compression

WojtekJKM

Prominent
May 25, 2020
INTRODUCTION
My question is about poor quality of all kinds of grass in videos.
As I didn't get the answer on the internet, mabye some experienced video editor would be able to help. I noticed that all my drone shots of grassy lands are completley ruined. I know more than enough about video compression, so It's understandable for me, that many moving details will overwhelm any compression codec.

SUBSTANCE
As I've seen a way better looking footages on YT or Netflix, that stream 1080p with even lower bitrates, I guess that there's a trick to make it look good bypassing need to really capture all that details. Will more motion blur solve the problem? Maybe some clever post production tricks? I've already tried lowering the contrast to make this less visable. Or am I recording it too bright/dark?
The point is, if i can't avoid It, how do I make it less noticable?
I can also append, that JPGs from the same drone, look correct (of course), as they are barely compressed and 4000x3000px (but look also good on 1440x900px screen). Maybe it can eliminate some factors.
It was also sunny - high contrast on grass, because of sharp shadows. (isn't this camera just too Low Dynamic Range for this scenario? may it affect compression's performance?)

I'd love to know the answer.

I'm using:
  • mavic mini (ver.1)
  • 1080p 25/50 fps
  • 100ISO
  • appropriate ND Filters
  • I TRY to stick to 180 degree rule (shutter speed = 1/[2*frame_rate] )
  • mavic is capable of 40Mbps MP4

I also experience this on:
- Canon 100D
-Capable of 45Mbps
(100ISO, ND Filters... same stuff as above)

Solution
Well obviously get a drone camera that records uncompressed so that you can control the compression yourself, transcode the videos with the highest quality possible.
Or read up on drone cameras and get the one with the best compression quality.
If the camera introduces artifacts to the original recording then there isn't much you can do.
Well obviously get a drone camera that records uncompressed so that you can control the compression yourself, transcode the videos with the highest quality possible.
Or read up on drone cameras and get the one with the best compression quality.
If the camera introduces artifacts to the original recording then there isn't much you can do.

Solution