Question b350 or b450 board?

Mar 9, 2019
I have an option to choose between an asrock pro 4 b450 or b350. Is there any advantage in pairing the 2600 with a b450 over a b350? If i do choose a 350 variant, how would i go about updating the bios? Also is the pro 4 series good compared to the competition? Thanks :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's new, it'll already be 2nd Gen compliant bios. If it's old stock, you'll need to get an upgrade kit from amd to update the bios. Ryzen 1st gen had its fair share of bugs, with boards and ram. You are better off going with the B450 that's been tweeked by ASR for better performance with Ryzen cpus.

Mar 9, 2019
and in terms of getting a modest overclock is the b450 pro 4 a good buy? I have seen multiple youtubers recommend the msi b450 tomahawk but i dont know whether that extra cost is worth it. In summary which one has better overclocking potential and more is reliable? Is there a significant difference to justify the price delta between the two?

Mar 9, 2019
also is dual channal 8 gb ram sufficient for gaming and very minimalist multi tasking? I will be getting something rated at 3000 mhz but currently my budget is a little tight to bump up to 16 gb. I will be pairing my system with gtx 1660 ti so i hope that the ram doesn't bottleneck my components and hinders gaming performance.

also is dual channal 8 gb ram sufficient for gaming and very minimalist multi tasking? I will be getting something rated at 3000 mhz but currently my budget is a little tight to bump up to 16 gb. I will be pairing my system with gtx 1660 ti so i hope that the ram doesn't bottleneck my components and hinders gaming performance.

Another advantage of the B450 boards over B350 is some manufacturers made significant improvements in their VRM's with more robust electrical design and high-mass, heavily finned heatsinking on the FET's... this is especially true of MSI's boards like the Tomahawk. Tomahawk, as a result, is considered the best B450 ATX board if you wish to overclock a 6 or 8 core Ryzen.

8GB is good right now, but 16GB is fast becoming necessary for new triple-A titles to run smoothly at 4k resolution. I don't know that 4 channel memory is a big advantage outside of specialized applications, e.g., running a VM in development environment.

if i opt for a 2400 g will it bottle neck my gpu ?
For processor or for GPU? which games? what resolution? one of the two will absolutely bottleneck, always...and so will a 2080ti/9900K combo. Go check some 2400g reviews to find out how it works:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=2400g+reviews&t=ffnt&ia=web

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820164118R

That's a stick at $49.99, open box. There are other brands at even cheaper but IMO brands that are sketch.

But here's the thing, if you ever want to go two sticks to get 16GB in dual channel it will not likely work, even if you find same brand/model, at high clock speeds since they won't be a matched pair . It might, but you can't count on it.

ADDED: If you want a bit of advice for how to compromise and leave yourself in position for upgrading...get a 2200g processor for now, with money saved get 2x8gig ram. Then when you get the money move up to a decent GPU and overclock the 2200g even higher...it's gonna be a decent gaming system, even with 4 cores, as long as you're not streaming or other multi-tasking.

If you're on a decent mobo (like the B450 Tomahawk) you'll even be able to drop a Ryzen 3rd gen processor into it in a year or two for another decent upgrade and then start streaming.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
8GB is good right now, but 16GB is fast becoming necessary for new triple-A titles to run smoothly at 4k resolution. I don't know that 4 channel memory is a big advantage outside of specialized applications, e.g., running a VM in development environment.

Ryzen does not support quad channel memory, only Threadripper and EPYC do.

is dual channal 8 gb ram sufficient for gaming and very minimalist multi tasking? I will be getting something rated at 3000 mhz but currently my budget is a little tight to bump up to 16 gb. I will be pairing my system with gtx 1660 ti so i hope that the ram doesn't bottleneck my components and hinders gaming performance.

Yes its fine, especially that you're at 1080p. The 3000mhz clock speed is more important to AMD performance.

if i opt for a 2400 g will it bottle neck my gpu ?

If you're buying a GPU I recommend against the 2400G vs the 2600. You lose 2 cores for an iGPU that you aren't going to use. Also the 2400G only has 8 PCIe lanes which while proven to be a minimal difference does slightly limit the GPU. Really the difference on a midline GPU is almost nothing, but still its there.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have an option of getting a i3 8100 and pairing it will 16 go ram is that a better option than a 2600 with 8gb ram ?

I like the 2600 better, 2 extra cores and the ability to upgrade to AMD's next processor that will come out this year or next (AMD pledged support through 2020), should you decide you want to go faster some day.

Also I don't think you need 16gb of ram as much as others would say. 8 is fine.

i found a deal on microcentre with a 1600 for 128 dollars with a mobo but they all went out of stock so my options have become a little limited

forget it...missed that you have a GTX1660ti. Try for a 2600...if you can swing it that's best to maximize it's performance. But if you can't I'd go for a 1400 (if you can find one) before a 2400g since it's just for the CPU. The 2400G is crippled...it only allows 8 lanes to the PCIex16 GPU slot...while the 1400 allows all 16. It's also still a 14nm LPP part like the 1400, unlike 2nd gen Zen (2600) which are 12nm and have better overclock potential.

But the price isn't that much different and the 8 lanes isn't that much of an impact...if you prefer the 2400g it's OK too.

What's your budget and what do you have on hand hardware-wise to put into this thing...like GPU, PSU and case?

It sounds like a 2600, a new B450 motherboard, a new GPU and even just 8 gigs of RAM is going to be a bit steep if you're struggling with thoughts of a 2400G. Like I said...economizing now with a clear upgrade path is an option if you can't swing the above, especially if you don't have a GPU and need one of those too.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
I had the Ryzen 5 1400 paired with the 6gb gtx 1060 on a b350m board and it was pretty damn good. I’ve switched to the Ryzen 7 2700x and love it. Do your research. Youll start to figure it all out like I did.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list /
Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($143.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($274.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $721.79 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-10 15:22 EDT-0400

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Where are you?
Yes, I don't doubt you can use mail in rebates from anywhere, application for rebates is done online, you just send receipt and upc, but that asks the question as to where they'll be shipping the items. Some places don't like to ship overseas. It's best done usually to buy local or at least from a site somewhat close as it avoids customs duties and other import taxes that'll destroy your budget.