ravenhaven03

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
So i need your guys' opinions, namely, i'm heavily debating which mobo to get for a r5 2600 stock, 16gb 3000mhz, 1070 base rig, i'm down to either the b450 Tomahawk or the B450-a Pro. I wanted Aorus Pro but sadly, that turned out to be complete shit where it matter so that's out of the picture. So tell me, which do you guys think is the better option and why?

Solution
Tomahawk has a massive capable heatsink that keeps the VRM cool running even without a fan blowing on it. The -a Pro is a bit of an unknown, although it seems to have the same VRM topology based on HardwareLuxx:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html#post25344552

BUT...if your intent is to run it stock, i.e. non-overclocked, then VRM robustness probably shouldn't really matter anywhow.

Other things to consider: the -a Pro has one more PCIe slot. That might be useful when your GPU covers the one below it.

The -a Pro has two more SATA ports...but i'm sure they get consumed when you populate the M.2 with an NVME. EDIT: Just saw...the Tomahawk also has two more SATA ports on the...
Tomahawk has a massive capable heatsink that keeps the VRM cool running even without a fan blowing on it. The -a Pro is a bit of an unknown, although it seems to have the same VRM topology based on HardwareLuxx:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html#post25344552

BUT...if your intent is to run it stock, i.e. non-overclocked, then VRM robustness probably shouldn't really matter anywhow.

Other things to consider: the -a Pro has one more PCIe slot. That might be useful when your GPU covers the one below it.

The -a Pro has two more SATA ports...but i'm sure they get consumed when you populate the M.2 with an NVME. EDIT: Just saw...the Tomahawk also has two more SATA ports on the bottom edge.

They both use the same audio CODEC

The tomahawk has a USB type C port.

All in all, it could be a toss up. BUT...the Tomahawk does have a good reputation for VRM robustness, courtesy of the massive heatsink if nothing else. For that alone I'd tend to go for the Tomahawk since nobody can NOT overclock forever when it's so easy and you even THINK it needs a bit of a boost.

Last edited:
Solution