[SOLVED] B450 motherboards recommended for ryzen 5 and 7 CPU but they're incompatible? Also ryzen has to overclock to perform properly?

May 29, 2020
Building a new PC and its been a LONG TIME since my last one (over ten years) and im putting more effort into learning more about the components involved with different tasks. Getting more into gaming but still using heavy art and writing programs while looking into live streaming while my art programs are running due to popular demand. I currently have an MSI gaming laptop as a stand in for my now limping desktop and its great for gaming but cant seem to handle my art programs well nor streaming while my art programs are running.

I was told the i7 intel stuff might be too rigid to handle a multipurpose computer. So i was directed to Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 7 3700x CPUs and to pair it with any B450 motherboards and that these particular Ryzens are more future proof for upgrades. Except when i check the parts it says the Ryzen CPUs are incompatible with the B450 motherboards?

I specifically looked at MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC, MSI B450M Mortar, MSI B450 Tomahawk. These were also listed as good pairings for the Ryzen 5 and 7, and yet i am also simultaneously told they are incompatible. So if someone could provide a little incite on that perhaps? Im finding quite a few inconsistencies there.

And then I see that the Ryzen stuff doesn’t function great unless its being overclocked, but I was under the impression that overclocking isn’t really that great of a thing to do? That it would reduce the “lifespan” persay of your rig?
Newbie questions I know. Doing my darndest to learn but heck it’s a lot of info and some of it seems in conflict…..

Any incite, pointers, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I picked out components for my last desktop but it was a long time ago and so Im calling this new rig my first build in progress.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More info:
>Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully Late June early July
>Budget Range: Ideally ~$1500.00-$2000.00 before shipping and all that jazz
System Usage from Most to Least Important:
- Gaming
-art programs (SAI, CS2, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro)
-Streaming/recording
-Writing
-watching movies and good ol' youtube...browsing in general as well.
>Are you buying a monitor: Yes. Other one only pops on sometimes and when it does it has several dead pixels. Dont need assistance in this area though.
>Parts to Upgrade: Literally EVERYTHING. Current PC desktop is 10 years old and needs viking funeral.
CPU, GPU, Motherboard, PSU, RAM, SSD/HDD, etc
>Do you need to buy OS: Yes
>Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, canada computers, wintronics, best buy if i must. Just want it done.
>Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>Parts Preferences: I've used Asus motherboards and intel processors in the past. But I know other brands can be just as good and so im alright with expanding my horizons. Though for GPU i am very much still clinging to nvidia geforce. Specifically Gigabyte geforce RTX 2060super or RTX 2070super windforce 3xOC 8GB
>Overclocking: Yes unless i get diff parts i guess?
>SLI or Crossfire: No
>Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 is lowest resolution I would be okay with. Looking at 1440p capable monitors though as well. Don’t need 4k
>Additional Comments: I like my towers to have a lot of airflow and decent amount of space. Open window is cool so are rbg custom lightings but arent necessary in the grand scheme of things. I prefer function over aesthetics. If i have a few extra coin then I'll think about it. For now though, great ventilation/air flow, good cooling, quiet would be nice, but lower priority as long as it works well and reliably.
>Games and programs i use that tax my current msi laptop stand in at the moment:
The Isle
PaintToolSai
Wacom tablet and software in general.....[using wacom intuos pro medium. upgrading to cintiq 22HD]
OBS (recording is fine. Streaming function it has an absolute fit over)
GoogleDocs hilariously
Twitch
-doesnt struggle with other games or programs (such as MH, autodesk, Gmod, Minecraft, Steam, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed, etc)

>Parts looking at:
-Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070super windforce 3xOC 8GB [or RTX 2060super]
-Ryzen 5 3600 OR Ryzen 7 3700
-MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC OR MSI B450M Mortar
-G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB
-EVGA PSU 650-700W [still browsing. I just like evga]
-Browsing still for samsung or crucial 1TB SSD, and possibly also a 500-1TB HDD
-Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case, Black (CC-9011166-WW)

Solution
Thats good to know, thanks. But the parts that say they're incompatible....It is possible then to update them to make it compatible? Its not a physical incompatibility then I have to worry about as well.
Right. BUT to update the BIOS you have to have a compatible CPU. If you are buying from a local shop, you would have THEM update the BIOS for you before you take the motherboard home.
Where are you seeing something that says they are "incompatible" ???

kanewolf

Titan
I specifically looked at MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC, MSI B450M Mortar, MSI B450 Tomahawk. These were also listed as good pairings for the Ryzen 5 and 7, and yet i am also simultaneously told they are incompatible. So if someone could provide a little incite on that perhaps? Im finding quite a few inconsistencies there.
Those motherboard COULD need BIOS updates for the 3000 series CPUs. It just depends on how long they have been sitting on a shelf. If you get a B450 that has MAX in the name, then that motherboard is guaranteed to support the 3000 series CPUs.

Reactions: KTCalamity
May 29, 2020
Those motherboard COULD need BIOS updates for the 3000 series CPUs. It just depends on how long they have been sitting on a shelf. If you get a B450 that has MAX in the name, then that motherboard is guaranteed to support the 3000 series CPUs.
Thats good to know, thanks. But the parts that say they're incompatible....It is possible then to update them to make it compatible? Its not a physical incompatibility then I have to worry about as well.

kanewolf

Titan
Right. BUT to update the BIOS you have to have a compatible CPU. If you are buying from a local shop, you would have THEM update the BIOS for you before you take the motherboard home.

Solution
May 29, 2020
Excellent! Thanks so much.

Ah. On PCPartPicker. Kept getting a big red band saying the parts i had picked were incompatible.

May 29, 2020
You should wait until Comet Lake CPUs are actually in stock and -XT CPUs come out from AMD.

I'll keep my eye out. But it really comes down to how long i can push my computer. My time frame is dependent most on how long i can manage to continue commission art pieces on this laptop since the desktop has died. If it cant hold up before those releases, i will have to make this build sooner.

I'll keep my eye out. But it really comes down to how long i can push my computer. My time frame is dependent most on how long i can manage to continue commission art pieces on this laptop since the desktop has died. If it cant hold up before those releases, i will have to make this build sooner.
If that's the case then this is my suggestion:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8HkBp8

Reactions: KTCalamity