Question B450 Tomahawk Max RAM problem XPM

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Hey there, i have b450 max tomahawk mobo and corsair 2x8gb 3200 mhz of ram
i had a problem and had to flash last bios update and before that clear cmos.
before the problem i had my ram xmp at profile 2,
now after the new bios update i flashed none of the working at 3200 mhz.

what i have tried so far:
  1. tried profile 1
  2. tried both profiles and set manually 3200 mhz

nothings helped.

any recommendation?

i had a problem and had to flash last bios update and before that clear cmos.
But did you reset CMOS after flashing the new BIOS? Do it with pulling the battery at the same time.

One thing I've learned is oftentimes BIOS doesn't seem to set the necessary XMP voltage. Setting the RAM voltage manually is often a helpful.

Also, what CPU are you running?

Last edited:
I have Ryzen 5 2600 with CMK16GX4M2E3200C16 and bios version 7C02v3F ram stick are on the second slot and forth one.
Ryzen 2000 series CPU's are rated to 2933 RAM speed. They are known to hit 3200 but not reliably by just setting XMP as often times some tweaking is necessary depending on the exact kit and RAM that's on the DIMM's.

It's the 3000 and 5000 series CPU's and their much improved MMU that can reliably hit even 3600 speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Before updating the Bios and clear CMOS my pc ran at 3200 normally without blue screen or any other issues, so?
So...you know it's capable. You just need to do a little tweaking.

New BIOS could have new initialization parameters that don't play well with your memory kit, if you want go back to the old one and avoid the tweaking. It's really only a requirement to update the BIOS if needed to support a later CPU or fix a problem you know it to have.

Last edited:

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
So...you know it's capable. You just need to do a little tweaking.

New BIOS could have new initialization parameters that don't play well with your memory kit, if you want go back to the old one and avoid the tweaking. It's really only a requirement to update the BIOS if needed to support a later CPU or fix a problem you know it to have.
So I have to downgrade my bios version?

So I have to downgrade my bios version?
I wouldn't say have to, but it is an option. A good one if you're confident your memory will work as you expect.

One benefit of the latest BIOS is it helps with windows 11 compatibility. That just means it enables UEFI operation and possibly the TPM by default; you can do all that yourself. You might also miss out on Smart Access Memory without the latest BIOS but otherwise it's probably not necessary until you upgrade your CPU.

Last edited:
I don't understand what I have to do.
There is no one thing you have to do as you have choices, each equally valid.

If you're content with what it's doing right now, do nothing.

If you want to stay on the current BIOS but want the higher memory clock speed then explore what overclocking tweaks help with DDR4 because you know your CPU is capable, it's just that your current BIOS isn't initializing it properly to simply use XMP settings.

If you want to simply use your memory with setting XMP then down-grade your BIOS to the version it was before since it apparently did that.

As you can see here says it's running at 3200mhz or I am wrong?
https://ibb.co/NVDFsGy
That may just be reporting the XMP settings capability of the DIMM's not what it's actually running at.

Get CPUz and look at Memory tab in Windows, the DRAM Frequency; you'll have to multiply that by 2 since it's DDR memory. That accurately reports what it's running at in Windows.

You cannot just manually set a 3200 clock for the memory and expect it to run. You need to enable XMP at the least and possibly set the voltage manually. If that doesn't work you'll have to tweak more settings.

Last edited:
Should I try the Memory try it? It says ddr4 and all the speeds and timing but I am not sure If I should use it
You can, but I would not. All it does is use some random settings they pre-loaded in the BIOS that aren't tested on your DIMM's. I'd prefer to start with XMP, but it's worth a gamble I guess.

Whatever you do, it's important to manually set the DIMM voltage though.

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
That may just be reporting the XMP settings capability of the DIMM's not what it's actually running at.

Get CPUz and look at Memory tab in Windows, the DRAM Frequency; you'll have to multiply that by 2 since it's DDR memory. That accurately reports what it's running at in Windows.

You cannot just manually set a 3200 clock for the memory and expect it to run. You need to enable XMP at the least and possibly set the voltage manually. If that doesn't work you'll have to tweak more settings.
here are the results on CPU Z
https://prnt.sc/670HGJY87d1z SPD
https://prnt.sc/wbNO3JPDgbym MAINBOARD
https://prnt.sc/rkf7K86tWYOz MEMORY
https://prnt.sc/ElfeVH4o6QYQ CPU

The memory is definitely working at 2133. The MemTest screen is just informing you of it's capability if XMP is enabled.

Look on the labeling on the DIMM's where it should indicate it's operating voltage. When you set XMP in BIOS manually load that voltage for the memory too. It should be 1.35V but you can increase it even more if it fails to work reliably. Don't go higher than around 1.45V for 24/7 operation.

Do the above after doing a CMOS reset; this will force the CPU to re-train the memory during POST. If you think you've done it before just do it again. It's not hard and harms nothing at all. Every time it crashes, whether a fail boot or during operation, do a CMOS reset be for resetting everything. That's to be sure you've cleared out memory settings that don't work right.

Last edited:

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
The memory is definitely working at 2133. The MemTest screen is just informing you of it's capability if XMP is enabled.

Look on the labeling on the DIMM's where it should indicate it's operating voltage. When you set XMP in BIOS manually load that voltage for the memory too. And do this after doing a CMOS reset. This will force the CPU to re-train the memory during POST.
you mean to increase voltage volume? which option is that?

Αas you can see at the screenshot bellow dram voltage says about 1.35-1.37 itself with xmp profile 2.

https://ibb.co/dMF9J8M
OK...so now with XMP set reboot and go into Windows. Assuming it does go into Windows what does HWINfo64 report the DIMM voltage as actually being when in the OS?

If still 1.35 or so go ahead and increase it to 1.4 in BIOS and try again.

Last edited:

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Ryzen 2XXX series memory controllers were still pretty sub par. If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade to a 5600 CPU chances are your RAM will be plug and play with the new CPU.
What are you talking about, like I said in other comment of mine my ram sticks are perfectly working with my CPU.
After updating to last bios version the problem started and cannot configure it to run at 3200 mhz

Reactions: Kona45primo

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Is it possible that the socket could be damaged and the rams dont run at 3200 mhz?
even if i try set DRAM voltage at 1.35v bios still says 1.20v
but if the socket of the mobo its damaged it shouldnt post right?