[SOLVED] B450M Pro-VDH MAX - Won't Boot with 4 RAM Modules - CPU LED On

Theberge43

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Hi,

So, I'm in my first build. Here are the parts.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.25 @ Vuugo)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.50 @ Vuugo)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM PST - Value Pack 53 CFM 120 mm Fans ($43.62 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $605.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-23 07:44 EST-0500

I bought to sets of RAM seperately, but they are the same exact model.
Now that I've read a bit more, might not have been a great idea, anyways.

Here is what I've done.
BIOS is up to date. I've resetted the CMOS by removing the battery.
I've tried all 4 sticks individually and they work, I've tested 1 module in each of the 4 slots and they work.
I can run any of the sticks in dual Mode in the proper slots (DIMMA2 & DIMMB2). With XMP Profile set to run at 3200 MHZ.
I was able to boot at default speed (2333 MHZ) with 3 modules (DIMMA1, DIMMA2 & DIMMB2), but it won't boot with XMP Profile.
I cannot boot in any shape or form with 4 modules on the motherboard.

Any suggestions are welcome. Am I just stuck with RAM that cannot work properly together ?
I've read about playing with voltage & timings, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Just because they are the same kit doesn't mean they are the same ICs. They could behave differently, making it hard for the memory controller to handle.
But a more likely issue is that 4 dimms is stressing the memory controller on your CPU. I highly don't recommend using 4 dimms, as, especially on daisy chain topology motherboards, they perform worse than 2 dimms and are more likely to not train.
On a daisy chain topology two sets of dimms have physically longer traces to the CPU than the other two sets, meaning if you have four dimms, 2 of them would have slightly higher latency than the other two.

Hi, so I just return them ? Why do they give 4 DIMMS on the motherboards if it's hard to handle for the CPU ?

Thanks for the reply.
Unless you need 32GB more than you need speed, return them.
I guess it's a marketing point. But ITX boards with two dimms tend to be much better for high frequency memory. Daisy chain is the cheaper topology and allows for higher frequency on two dimms.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQwGGbW1AE
Here's an informative video

Theberge43

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Unless you need 32GB more than you need speed, return them.
I guess it's a marketing point. But ITX boards with two dimms tend to be much better for high frequency memory. Daisy chain is the cheaper topology and allows for higher frequency on two dimms.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vQwGGbW1AE
Here's an informative video

So small update, from a suggestion on another board, I tried 2 Modules in DIMMA1 & DIMMB1 instead. It won't boot. So is it the Motherboard that is at fault in this case ?

Theberge43

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Memory manufacturers won't guarantee that multiple kits of memory will work together. You can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees if you choose to make such combinations.

What is guaranteed is memory in the form sold. For you, that would be a kit of two modules not three or four sticks.
GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Hi,
I now understand this. However, I was able to run 1 stick from each pack together without issues in the default dual channel DIMM slots (A2 & B2). However 2 sticks from the same pack don’t want to boot at all in the A1 & B1. Also I cannot run at full speed when I put a stick in B1.
Just trying to figure out if the board is the problem.

Theberge43

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
So answer from MSI was my RAM is not from the supported list at all and especially not supported for 4 DIMMS.
Actually that list is interesting, if I look at Picasso compatibility (my CPU if I'm not mistaken), none of the 3200MHz modules supporting 4 DIMMS are close to their speeds (they top at 2133MHz) and they are limited to 1.2V. That might be why I'm having issue booting.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX#support-mem-18