Question B450M Ram Issue

Sep 12, 2019
Greetings everyone! I have little issue with my RAM lets start.
im using MB - B450M DS3H
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) 3000mhz ( cmk16gx4m2b3000c15 )
Ryzen 5 2600, Stock Cooler
and 550 W PSU with GTX 1060
problem is that i cant reach more than 2666Mhz
Using XMP profile 1 ( cuz i have only 1 profile ) and automatically goes to 3000Mhz but when im safe and exit, pc wont start only Fans without red indicator or smting, need flash reset then turn on XMP again and down the multiplier to 2666mhz and then poof windows is running, i have a friend who using B350 with exactly same ram and reach 2933
C15-17-17-17-35 on XMP
trying also Command on T1 and T2 still nothing
i cant reach 2933, im using lastest BIOS update F42B
All chipset drivers etc and still cant reach 2933 Mhz :(
Im looking for a friendly help! Thanks everyone <3

Yes. They should be in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU. After moving them to the correct slots, I would recommend doing a hard reset as follows:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

0GoAA8a.png

Are you comfortable with manually configuring the memory timings?

If so, try this. Change the timings to 16-18-18-36 instead of 15-17-17-35 which is the standard profile timings for that memory kit.

16 is CAS latency (tCL or just CAS)
18 is tRCD
18 is tRP
36 is tRAS

Set the voltage to 1.36v

Save settings, exit BIOS.

If that doesn't work, you will probably need to reset BIOS and try again. One thing that might help is changing the command rate from 1T to 2T. Ryzen seems to much prefer a 2T command rate and the memory you have is intended for use with an Intel platform, thus the timings are tailored for Intel which works fine with odd numbered timings. AMD dislikes odd numbered timings. Changing the command rate to 2T isn't going to do you much good unless you also change the other timings as I've outlined. Any timings other than the four outlined above should either be left alone or set to Auto.

As a last ditch effort, you can try the Ryzen calculator, which has shown a lot of success for some owners.

There are quite a few online tutorials on how to use it if you need help.

If none of this works then I'd suggest you return that memory and buy a different set that is more compatible with your platform, and has timings meant for use with Ryzen platforms.

Sep 12, 2019
Ok guys this doesnt work but i go to my friend who have B450M Gaming and put my ram to 2993 and 3000 and pew pew its working, but his timing are different on cpuz shows Cas 16 trdc 17 trp 17 tras 35 and trc 65 and command t1. Now im goin to test those settings and see what happend.

I would either try returning that memory and getting memory that has even numbered timings, like 14-14-14-28 or 16-18-18-36 for example, or a different motherboard.

Much when it comes to memory support is down to the motherboard. That one is a very basic entry level board so it's unlikely to get much love when it comes to BIOS complexity or advancements, or updates for that matter. Cheap in, cheap out.

I also seriously doubt you tried using the Ryzen calculator to manually configure timings and memory related settings, and if you did, then what kind of numbers did you come up with?

Also, have you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD. One of the older BIOS updates specifically states to not update to a newer BIOS version until you have done so.

I would install the chipset drivers found here on the AMD website, only, not those found on the motherboard product page.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Trying to run at the XMP profile isn't overclocking, at least, not in the traditional sense. Any memory kit should be capable of running at it's XMP profile configuration without fear of instability or data corruption, unlike an actual "overclock". If the memory wasn't REALLY stable at that configuration so long as it's used on the platforms for which it was intended, based on timings and voltage requirements, then the manufacturer wouldn't hard code the profile with those settings. So, if it can't run at the XMP profile then the memory is simply not compatible or there is a requirement for extensive configuration trial and error which might be more than most users are prepared to have to deal with.

At this point, I'd either just get a higher quality board or a memory kit that is proven to be compatible with Ryzen platforms AT it's XMP profile configuration setttings.

Sep 12, 2019
Yes, im already updated bios to f42 update, and about ryzen calculator im pretty hard with what kind of memory should i use - Micron D-Die or A- etc , when im using Micron D-Die i got those settings COMPARED with mine
rxdrTfv.png

i dont know is that correct settings what i should try to do. But there are much more different than that i was try before.
P.S RED BOX is that dram calc tolds me to change

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019
I see where my mistake is but he said the mems are 3000 and he can't go past 2667. Any memory over 2667 are OC so are they really 3000?

Personally I never liked Corsair products.

Sep 13, 2019
I'm trying to understand this, when you put the memory in did it turn on XMP and default to 3000 by itself? If so, did it relax the timing so that it will run?

The word I'm looking for means that it looks at the info stored in memory chip on how to set it to run.

Sep 12, 2019
No, doesnt turn xmp by default, default its off and ram its 2133, when turn it on Auto 3000mhz by default xmp profile. And manual turn the multillier to 29.9.