Question B550 ethernet cable not recognized

Cobnor

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
I just upgraded my motherboard to an MSI B550. Everything is running great, except I can't get my ethernet to work.

First I tried the windows troubleshoot option, which it said "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration." So I followed some tutorials online, like resetting my router, doing command prompts like "netsh winsock reset," etc. Nothing helped.

Next, and I'm not sure when this happened, but instead of saying I didn't have a valid IP, it just said my ethernet cable wasn't plugged in. So I tried some other things. I plugged the cable into my laptop: works fine. Reset my network, which didn't seem to actually reset anything. Also, I plugged in a wifi adapter to download my motherboard's ethernet driver from the website and that didn't help either.

I've also tried going into my BIOS and seeing if there was an option there that could fix anything and as far as I can tell there isn't.

So, I'm kind of running out of things to try. I'd be grateful if anyone here can help me out.

Sep 14, 2020
Check your internet cable, there might be a broken connection between the RJ-45 and the wires of the cable, or try using a different LAN cable and try using a different port on your router.

Cobnor

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
This cable works fine on my laptop, and I have swapped to a different port on the router itself. I'll try to find if I have another cable lying around.

Edit: I've tried another cable, still says cable is unplugged.

Last edited: