[SOLVED] B560 vs entry level z590

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Hi, I’m looking to buy either a b560 or a z590 motherboard. Whilst I know the z590 boards are meant to be better, the entry level z590 boards are actually the same price for me (around 155 euros) compared to community recommended boards like “asus tuf b560 plus wifi” or “gigabyte b560 aorus pro ax”.

Is it better to buy these cheap entry level z590 boards (like gigabyte’s “z590 gaming x intel” or “z590 ud ac” or asus’ “prime z590-p”), over the b560 boards named above?

Solution
First of all, what size motherboard will you need for your prospective case?
Some listed were MATX which are normally cheaper than ATX.
Past that, look at what is included. Some have wifi if you need that.
Some have fancy rgb lights if you want that.
By and large, motherboards are reasonably good.
On general principles, I would buy Z590 if all else was the same.

One good place to do some research is newegg.
If there is a general problem with a board, you will see some negative user comments.
Do not be alarmed by how many negative reviews you see. Those with good results do not post.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
What is your processor?
The Z590 motherboards will allow cpu overclocking and will have more robust power phases and cooling for maximum cpu overclocking.
I would imagine that any I7 or less would be perfectly fine with a B560 motherboard.

It was going to be paired up with an i5 10400, so I know a z590 was totally not necessary. But as it was the same price as a highly recommended b560 motherboard, I just wondered if high quality b560 motherboards might be a better choice than a cheap entry-level z590 board when the prices are the same.

If there is a general problem with a board, you will see some negative user comments.
Do not be alarmed by how many negative reviews you see. Those with good results do not post.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It was going to be paired up with an i5 10400, so I know a z590 was totally not necessary. But as it was the same price as a highly recommended b560 motherboard, I just wondered if high quality b560 motherboards might be a better choice than a cheap entry-level z590 board when the prices are the same.

With the i5 10400, and the assumption that you plan no further upgrade to 11th gen, or particularly K series proc there is no real reason to consider much more than desired feature set. The B series board, or perhaps an H will offer all the power delivery you could need with that processor. Do keep in mind that PCI gen 4 will not work regardless with the 10th gen CPU.

If you plan to upgrade later to 11th gen, or really anything "powerful" i7/i9 then yes, go ahead and get the best motherboard you can, now.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019

The case allows for atx sizes, so whether regular atx or mAtx is not so important for me. And I guess I don’t particularly have a strong need for extra features on it, but it’s obviously and attractive factor if the z590 is the same and I don’t plan on using z590’s features.

With the i5 10400, and the assumption that you plan no further upgrade to 11th gen, or particularly K series proc there is no real reason to consider much more than desired feature set. The B series board, or perhaps an H will offer all the power delivery you could need with that processor. Do keep in mind that PCI gen 4 will not work regardless with the 10th gen CPU.

If you plan to upgrade later to 11th gen, or really anything "powerful" i7/i9 then yes, go ahead and get the best motherboard you can, now.

Yes there was no real plan to upgrade the cpu in the future, however given that the z590 was the same price as the b560 board that I was considering, I was unsure which to chose.

However, I have gone for the ryzen 5 3600 in the end, due to a surprisingly good find of a ryzen 5 3600 + x570 motherboard for $250. But thanks for your input guys.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Yea that is a pretty good deal there. Not as fast, but a price/performance win, for sure. The 3600 is a fine cpu still.
Yea I’ve been seeing that the i5 10400f tends to perform slightly better on games so I was tempted. However, going with an i5 10400f + b560 would have been 30 dollars more for me. Which whilst it isn’t much more, it’s all for a super budget build anyway and I didn’t think any difference between the two would be significant enough. Plus this is with a higher end x570 motherboard as a bonus (not that I need any of the extras it provides) vs going for an entry level cheaper b560 I had found to lower the intel option.

Reactions: logainofhades