Question B660i motherboards and pump block compatabilities

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I am planning a new build soon, I have opted for a mitx build with an LGA1700 B660i board, specifically the Strix version because the M.2 heasink is lower than alternatives. I would like some advice on whether certain AIOs can be accomodated and in which orientations. I would prefer models where the pump block's tubing doesn't stick out too far. I feel like this would be a great system to try and build and I would have gone for a 5900x as originally intended but the 12600K is already on par or outdoes it according to some benchmark tests, is cheaper and on a chipset that isn't a dead end by this point. It'd be a shame to have AIOs fail to work with such a motherboard.

I am planning a new build soon, I have opted for a mitx build with an LGA1700 B660i board, specifically the Strix version because the M.2 heasink is lower than alternatives. I would like some advice on whether certain AIOs can be accomodated and in which orientations. I would prefer models where the pump block's tubing doesn't stick out too far. I feel like this would be a great system to try and build and I would have gone for a 5900x as originally intended but the 12600K is already on par or outdoes it according to some benchmark tests, is cheaper and on a chipset that isn't a dead end by this point. It'd be a shame to have AIOs fail to work with such a motherboard.
CPU blocks/pumps in AIOs are much smaller than air coolers and fit virtually everyhwere

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
CPU blocks/pumps in AIOs are much smaller than air coolers and fit virtually everyhwere
That may be true but I've seen a lot of stories of people lamenting their AIO blocks' tubing being impeded by a high rise M.2 heatsink or the IO shrouds or pushing against the RAM and that concerns me no end. It astounds me thaa manufacturers can't just add a couple more milimeters of space between the socket and surrounding components on ALL motherboards as standard just to make sure the majority of blocks fit.

That may be true but I've seen a lot of stories of people lamenting their AIO blocks' tubing being impeded by a high rise M.2 heatsink or the IO shrouds or pushing against the RAM and that concerns me no end. It astounds me thaa manufacturers can't just add a couple more milimeters of space between the socket and surrounding components on ALL motherboards as standard just to make sure the majority of blocks fit.
More of a problem is actually with radiator if placed on top of case with hoses or radiator thickness. My Arctic has a large block/pump and still doesn't get close to other parts. Cooler master for instance have them pretty small.

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
More of a problem is actually with radiator if placed on top of case with hoses or radiator thickness. My Arctic has a large block/pump and still doesn't get close to other parts. Cooler master for instance have them pretty small.
I'll consider the cooler master models then.

TRENDING THREADS