back to the basics (ish)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nighterlev

Honorable
Nov 1, 2015

Over-clocking your memory doesn't really increase FPS all that much, but it does increase load times for graphical things (let's say you were playing Skyrim for example, had your draw distance to the lowest setting etc, you can actually see how fast graphics will load in on the map as you move around)

What does increase FPS is by over-clocking the core clock. If your voltage was already set at it's default state, you shouldn't have to decrease it at all, as that would likely make the GPU a bit unstable at it's own default settings because that's how the manufacturer fine tuned it for.

Best bet, keep trying to over-clock your core clock, and if it starts to become unstable from over-clocking the core clock, only then should you increase the voltage slightly to see if things have improved for the GPU.

SilverFord01

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Ok, I'll try boosting the voltage tomorrow. I don't have much more to work with, but it may make a difference. I'm just slightly disappointed that I've only used half of my core clock range and am crashing at 1010 MHz. 1k is perfectly stable on Heaven v4.0, but that will all change by next week hopefully.

SilverFord01

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
So I fired up one of my games that I use regularly. I ran it for about 3 or 4 hours on my oc setting the other day with no problems. Today, it crashed the game after about 20 minutes, but the game didn't log a crash like it normally does. I pushed my settings back to stock for another try, if it crashes again I'm goino to assume that I burned my GPU yesterday. Sure hope the mail runs fast for my 1060 if that's the case!

Yup, Nighterlev is correct - don't OC the memory too much, the difference is not much. Usually the memory going faster will only affect load times, and not by much still. Just OC the core as far as you can, and let the memory be. I hope the card didn't burn. MSI Afterburner isn't gonna allow dangerous voltages, most of the time.

If you're experiencing so many crashes, it's best you leave it at stock. Plus, the GTX 1060 has GPU Boost, so it'll overclock itself reasonably well. If you don't want to mess with OC, the card will do it automatically without changing voltages or fan speeds. You could always turn the fans up yourself and OC further than GPU Boost would take it, but then again that's all manual OC.