Question backing up files while preserving dates?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have tons of files to backup from one drive to another, however, I find that if I copy and paste, the creation date of the copy will be updated. How can I keep the creation date original in the copied file? "Cut and paste" will do it but it is not creating a backup copy.

BTW, how to reduce the likelihood of corrupting a single file when copying a large number of files from one drive to another?

ailsa_1

Honorable
Nov 29, 2016
You can use file backup software to transfer your files from one drive to another. For example, you can use AOMEI Backupper. You can use it to easily transfer from one disk to another internal hard drive, an external drive, or a cloud drive without modifying the dates of files.
In addition, using this software, files will not be corrupted in the process.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
You can use file backup software to transfer your files from one drive to another. For example, you can use AOMEI Backupper. You can use it to easily transfer from one disk to another internal hard drive, an external drive, or a cloud drive without modifying the dates of files.
In addition, using this software, files will not be corrupted in the process.

any freeware rather than trialware

USAFRet

Titan
I have tons of files to backup from one drive to another, however, I find that if I copy and paste, the creation date of the copy will be updated. How can I keep the creation date original in the copied file? "Cut and paste" will do it but it is not creating a backup copy.

BTW, how to reduce the likelihood of corrupting a single file when copying a large number of files from one drive to another?
A simple Copy/Paste WILL cause the new file(s) to have a creation date of today.
It is literally a new file.

A true backup tool like Macrium Reflect will preserve the metadata (date, etc) of the files, within the whole backup.

Reactions: Grobe

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
A simple Copy/Paste WILL cause the new file(s) to have a creation date of today.
It is literally a new file.

A true backup tool like Macrium Reflect will preserve the metadata (date, etc) of the files, within the whole backup.

Is Macrium Reflect 8 Free good enough? Is it trial or free permanently but with limited function?

keep in mine Macriuim, which is great software I use it all the time, is designed for backing up whole partitions not just files. This is why it is able to keep the dates because it is more so cloning than copying.

Try using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. I use this program all the time too. In the Settings there, usually by default, is check boxes to keep things like Ownership, date, and time.