[SOLVED] Backup help for beginner

Oct 25, 2021
Hello,
I have very limited computer knowledge. I have an Asus laptop running Windows 10. I need to develop a system to backup up mainly family photos and documents. I bought 2 external HDDs in 2015 (likely need to be replaced due to age) and backed up files by dragging and dropping them to the drives when connected.

Long story short its time to upgrade my backup plan/routine. Here are my questions:

1) Do you recommend i buy a SSD or HDD for external drive backups (i heard the SanDisk 1TB SDD on sale for $139 at Best Buy is highly rated) and should i buy 1 or 2 in case one fails? I read that SSD dont have moving parts and dont fail as easily as HDDs. I wouldnt keep it connected to my laptop all the time though.

2) I am aware that Windows 10 on my laptop offers backup utilities including Backup and Restore, File History and creating a Recovery Disk. Would you use these utilities to backup your data and to create a system image on your external drives or would you use a 3rd party program? If I use these utilities to create a recovery disk can i use a thumb drive or do i need to use an actual disk? If you recommend a 3rd party program over MS Backup and Restore, please explain why.

3) What do you recommend for backing up photos and docs to cloud storage EXACTLY as I have them stored on my computer (in their same file folders, with same titles, info, dates etc) on an automated basis since i dont regularly make an effort to back up to external drives. **Also, if i delete something from my docs or photos i want it deleted across all my storage. Is there a way to delete items across all storage while also ensuring i can access old deleted files if needed? (Not sure if this is what is referred to as incremental backup)

3) I thought i had cloud storage of docs and photos covered since I have One Drive, Google Drive/Photos amd Amazon photos but Im starting to grasp that these programs dont achieve what i described in question 2. Help me understand why someone would pay for a different cloud service to backup photos and docs and how a paid service differs from relying on One Drive, Google Drive and Amazon Photos. Last night when i tried to copy certain files from my desktop to One Drive i noticed the files disappeared from my desktop and were solely located One Drive. I thought I was creating a duplicate file for backup storage but this doesnt seem to be the case. Also I kept getting warnings across Google Drive and One Drive when deleting files that they would be deleted across all drives and storage locations. I realized i was in over my head. I need some basic guidance!
Thank you in advance

Solution
Hello,
I have very limited computer knowledge. I have an Asus laptop running Windows 10. I need to develop a system to backup up mainly family photos and documents. I bought 2 external HDDs in 2015 (likely need to be replaced due to age) and backed up files by dragging and dropping them to the drives when connected.

Long story short its time to upgrade my backup plan/routine. Here are my questions:

1) Do you recommend i buy a SSD or HDD for external drive backups (i heard the SanDisk 1TB SDD on sale for $139 at Best Buy is highly rated) and should i buy 1 or 2 in case one fails? I read that SSD dont have moving parts and dont fail as easily as HDDs. I wouldnt keep it connected to my laptop all the time though.

2) I am aware that...
Hello,

2) I am aware that Windows 10 on my laptop offers backup utilities including Backup and Restore, File History and creating a Recovery Disk. Would you use these utilities to backup your data and to create a system image on your external drives or would you use a 3rd party program? If I use these utilities to create a recovery disk can i use a thumb drive or do i need to use an actual disk? If you recommend a 3rd party program over MS Backup and Restore, please explain why.

3) What do you recommend for backing up photos and docs to cloud storage EXACTLY as I have them stored on my computer (in their same file folders, with same titles, info, dates etc) on an automated basis since i dont regularly make an effort to back up to external drives. **Also, if i delete something from my docs or photos i want it deleted across all my storage. Is there a way to delete items across all storage while also ensuring i can access old deleted files if needed? (Not sure if this is what is referred to as incremental backup)

3) I thought i had cloud storage of docs and photos covered since I have One Drive, Google Drive/Photos amd Amazon photos but Im starting to grasp that these programs dont achieve what i described in question 2. Help me understand why someone would pay for a different cloud service to backup photos and docs and how a paid service differs from relying on One Drive, Google Drive and Amazon Photos. Last night when i tried to copy certain files from my desktop to One Drive i noticed the files disappeared from my desktop and were solely located One Drive. I thought I was creating a duplicate file for backup storage but this doesnt seem to be the case. Also I kept getting warnings across Google Drive and One Drive when deleting files that they would be deleted across all drives and storage locations. I realized i was in over my head. I need some basic guidance!
Thank you in advance
You can setup a backup plan that is as simple or complex as you want/need.
The more complex the greater the chance of failure.

Some folks use a clone, others an image, others the cloud or some combo of each.
So it's up to you to figure out what you want/need and then figure out how your going to do it.

My backup plan is based on KISS mode.....keep it simple stupid.
I have 2 spare ssd's.
I alternate them.
Every 15 days I make a clone.
That fits my needs.

Reactions: Lala415
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Read here, for my procedure and others.
It can be as simple or as complex as you want.

Oct 25, 2021

Some folks use a clone, others an image, others the cloud or some combo of each.
So it's up to you to figure out what you want/need and then figure out how your going to do it.

I have 2 spare ssd's.
I alternate them.
That fits my needs.
Thank you. When you say you make a clone, what is the process/steps? Does this
I have 2 spare ssd's.
I alternate them.
That fits my needs.

Hello I actually read this post and comments multiple times before posting my question . I didnt understand some of it and had unanswered questions (see my post)

Oct 25, 2021

Hello I actually read this post and comments multiple times before posting my question . I didnt understand some of it and had unanswered questions (see my post)
Can you just start off with helping me understand why to use Macrium over MS Backup and Restore and what the difference is. That is a big piece i dont get after reading articles Nd watching YouTube videos

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

1. HDD is better size per dollar.
  2. I personally prefer Macrium Reflect. Much better options.
  3. Not sure what you mean by this.
  4. OneDrive can be a little confusing.