Backup software suggestions

no--name

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a tool that allow me to create a full disk image and also to perform a restore from that image via a bootable disk. I also need to be able to exclude some specific directories. I used Norton Ghost in the past but I remember I had some issues.
Thanks in advance.

Solution

Hi no--name, I had the same problem as you. My 1400 GB disk was taken up by 1000+ GB of movies/music that I already have stored on bluerays elsewhere. I wanted to do a system backup of just Windows and Program Files, but skip the movies/music/etc.

The problem is that with a system backup, software usually reads in the whole file system (not just files) and backs it up all at once. The only software that I found that works is [Paragon Backup and recovery 14 (free version)]. They have a newer one that costs. 14 works on Win 10 though. It has it's own driver that allows them to basically copy only parts of the...

USAFRet

Titan

Except for excluding specific directories, Macrium Reflect does exactly this.

The paid version would allow you to include folders, so I guess you could include all but those special ones you don't want.

If I may ask, what is the reasoning for this exclusion?

gardenman

Splendid

Hi no--name, I had the same problem as you. My 1400 GB disk was taken up by 1000+ GB of movies/music that I already have stored on bluerays elsewhere. I wanted to do a system backup of just Windows and Program Files, but skip the movies/music/etc.

The problem is that with a system backup, software usually reads in the whole file system (not just files) and backs it up all at once. The only software that I found that works is [Paragon Backup and recovery 14 (free version)]. They have a newer one that costs. 14 works on Win 10 though. It has it's own driver that allows them to basically copy only parts of the file system and files. It's the only backup software that I know that does it and I tried 20 or so.

It can create a boot disc or USB to restore the files. I usually create my backups and then test them in a VM with [VirtualBox] to make sure everything 100% works when/if I ever need it. I can backup just my Windows and software, and restore it to a 45 gig virtual hard drive in VirtualBox and test it out. (Just be sure to disable network activity in VirtualBox). I sometimes get errors when restoring Windows to the VM, but I've figured out how to handle them. If you go that route and need more help, let me know later.

Good luck.

Look at the 3rd option down on the left:
Advanced_backup_settings.png

Solution

no--name

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

Hi, of course, because I don't want to end with a 1TB ISO due the "downloads" folder.

Thank you @gardenman, I'll give it a try