Hi Group,

For reasons unknown to me the little graphics of folders and flying paper
have gone away on my copy of Win XP Pro, SP2. Well, not completely gone
away, only about the top 1/4 of the graphic is there when I do a copy or
delete operation. Is this a symptom of a corrupt DLL somewhere and if so
which one(s)... If I knew what was amiss I could restore only the needed
file(s) as I have very good backups...

Any help anyone??

Yes, I know it is only a little cosmetic blemish but still it bugs the "H"
out of me!

TIA...

- jm -

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:XoCdnVD21ORhYo7eRVn-1A@adelphia.com,
- jm - <cav1959DELETE_THIS@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Hi Group,
>
> For reasons unknown to me the little graphics of folders and flying
> paper have gone away on my copy of Win XP Pro, SP2. Well, not
> completely gone away, only about the top 1/4 of the graphic is there
> when I do a copy or delete operation. Is this a symptom of a corrupt
> DLL somewhere and if so which one(s)... If I knew what was amiss I
> could restore only the needed file(s) as I have very good backups...
>
> Any help anyone??
>
> Yes, I know it is only a little cosmetic blemish but still it bugs
> the "H" out of me!
>
> TIA...
>

> - jm -

What happens if you try it from another account? It may be that your account
has become corrupted. Such things have been known to cause rather flaky
results and this sounds like it could be the cause.

If it's fine with another account then this may be of interest to you:

Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

> In news:XoCdnVD21ORhYo7eRVn-1A@adelphia.com,
> - jm - <cav1959DELETE_THIS@yahoo.com> had this to say:

>> Hi Group,
>>
>> For reasons unknown to me the little graphics of folders and flying
>> paper have gone away on my copy of Win XP Pro, SP2. Well, not
>> completely gone away, only about the top 1/4 of the graphic is there
>> when I do a copy or delete operation. Is this a symptom of a corrupt
>> DLL somewhere and if so which one(s)... If I knew what was amiss I
>> could restore only the needed file(s) as I have very good backups...
>>
>> Any help anyone??
>>
>> Yes, I know it is only a little cosmetic blemish but still it bugs
>> the "H" out of me!
>>
>> TIA...
>>

>> - jm -
>

> What happens if you try it from another account? It may be that your
> account has become corrupted. Such things have been known to cause rather
> flaky results and this sounds like it could be the cause.
>
> If it's fine with another account then this may be of interest to you:
>
> Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Well, I was hoping, but alas, it matters not the account - something else is
corrupt and I would still bet that it is a system DLL. I am not prepared
to do a repair and have to go through all the updates (cumulative, I know),
and SP 2 and the problems I had after SP2 install (I did not write down the
problem fixes), so, once again I am at the mercy of an inferior operating
system [OS/2 just had bad marketing which lead to it's demise, alas &
alack]...

I guess I could go to an old (post SP2) tape BU and just restore ALL the
system DLL's - humm, I MAY just try that... I await replies FIRST though...

Thanks!!!

- jm -

The longest journey begins with but a single step.