[SOLVED] Bad FPS drops on Fortnite

Oct 12, 2019
I bought my PC around 6 or 7 months ago for Fortnite and from the beginning I had a few FPS drops here and there but nothing major. I play on the lowest settings except for the render distance being maxed. Over time, the FPS drops have gotten more frequent and more severe to the point where I'm not even playing anymore because it's so bad. A few months ago I could run it capped at 144 and have it mostly be stable with the occasional drop to 60-100. But now the game is basically unplayable, it drops to 5-30 fps every few minutes and constantly hitches in almost every fight.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, updating my graphics drivers, editing the command lines from the Fortnite launcher. Also have tried setting textures from low to high, capping and uncapping my fps, disabling and reenabling multithread rendering, and nothing has helped. My friend has the exact same setup and while he experiences fps drops too, they're not nearly as bad or as frequent as mine. And when we play Fortnite together, I get stuck on the loading screens for at least twice as long as he does. I don't play any other games so I can't test how anything else runs. If anyone has any ideas of how to fix this I would be very grateful

My specs are: 8 gb of ram, i5-8400, and 1060 3gb graphics card. I ran the user benchmark program and these were my results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20859411

Solution
Since you only try one game and userbenchmark seems ok, that means it's the game's fault. You can try a clean install of the game or even windows.

Also, getting a dual kit of ram will help for sure. Yeah I know your friend has the same with no issues but it's a different user with different sets of programs. You might have something running in the background that hurts your fps.
Oct 12, 2019
Does your friend have an SSD and is their RAM 1x8gb of the same speed or 2x4gb go?

A single stick of RAM is not good and will impact performance compared to a 2x4gb setup. Not using an SSD is probably not helping in this scenario either.
Nope, everything he has is exactly the same as mine. We bought the same computer. The only difference is our monitors and I have a Corsair keyboard and I think he still uses the one that it came with.

Oct 12, 2019
Try using DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your drivers.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
This took awhile to update on because right after this the game was down for a few days for the new season + when the new season came out everyone was having FPS problems so I wasn't sure if it was fixed or not. Anyways, the patch fixing the FPS drops came out today and from what I saw that fixed it for people having issues from the season, but I'm still having the same issues. I used DDU to remove and reinstall the drivers too and it didn't make a difference. :( I don't know what else to do

Since you only try one game and userbenchmark seems ok, that means it's the game's fault. You can try a clean install of the game or even windows.

Also, getting a dual kit of ram will help for sure. Yeah I know your friend has the same with no issues but it's a different user with different sets of programs. You might have something running in the background that hurts your fps.

Solution