volanis

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
ok so here are my specs b4 i say anything
win xp home
amd athlon xp 3200+
ati radeon x800 pro
2x512 ddr sdram pc2600 (not sure about this could be 1300...im not an authority on ram and dont know where to find out exactly wat it is)
WD 80gb 5200 rpm (cache no clue.

ok so im playing mostly world of warcraft and COD2 atm. cod is fine, but in a heavily populated area in WOW my fps drops down to like 3 or even, on occasion 1 fps. the most ive ever got was 60 but thats when im looking at the sky with no detail or anything. everything i have seems to be well able to handle a game like WOW, cept for one thing...wel im thinking it may be my hard drive that is creating the bottleknek and i have a maxtor 250gb 7200rpm 16mb cache coming from newegg tomorow. what everyone opinion on this? could i be right in thinking my HD was the problem?

mpjesse

Splendid
Nope. You're fine. WOW is a hog. I <had> the same card as you with a much faster configuration and it would drop below 30FPS often. (never to 1fps though... 15 at the lowest).

Getting a faster hard drive will not improve performance in game... all getting a faster hard drive will do is load worlds quicker.

Make sure you have the latest ATI Catalyst drivers- if you have older ones I bet you'll see an improvement in WOW with new ones.

-mpjesse