[SOLVED] Bad Image error on any application other than chrome and a few random ones.

Jun 30, 2020
So I have recently run into quite a few problems with my windows 10 install. Every other boot, all I can see after login is a black screen with my cursor. On the boot where my desktop and taskbar are visible, the context menu upon right clicking anything within file explorer infinitely loads, so I cannot technically right click anything to bring up the context menu for files and applications, and also any application that I open other than a certain few- for some reason- shows a "bad image error" with the same error status, 0xc000012f, however each application with a different file path. One of the only applications that can open is chrome, so I decided to try and post this on the forums to see if there are any solutions to this. My main plan is to only fix the bad image error, as after that I can easily do an in-house upgrade and keep all my files and apps using the windows media creation tool upgrade function; as this usually fixes problems that stem from windows updates such as corrupted drivers (I would assume). Most of these problems stem from system updates, by the way, and I have tried uninstalling the most recent ones.

Specs:
i7-9700k
EVGA RTX 2060
Asrock Z390 Pro4
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB 3000
EVGA 500W BQ Semi Modular
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
Kingston A400 120GB M.2-2280 (boot)

My drives are 1 year old, windows is installed on an m.2 ssd. I have also tried sfc scannow.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
Hello reaperrules97.

This is usually a last resort in most cases, however, I believe you should reinstall Windows. I also recommend performing some health checks on the drives after the fact as a safe measure. Be sure to make backups of your data before reinstalling.
Jan 9, 2021
Hello reaperrules97.

This is usually a last resort in most cases, however, I believe you should reinstall Windows. I also recommend performing some health checks on the drives after the fact as a safe measure. Be sure to make backups of your data before reinstalling.

Reactions: reaperules97
Solution
Jun 30, 2020
Hello reaperrules97.

Ok, i was also thinking of this, it being my last resort. However, I have never done this before, so do you mind telling me how i can back up my data and what will be lost from how the system is now? for example bios settings and other things that i probably can't backup, so i can possibly take a picture of the settings or something along those lines.

Jan 9, 2021
Ok, i was also thinking of this, it being my last resort. However, I have never done this before, so do you mind telling me how i can back up my data and what will be lost from how the system is now? for example bios settings and other things that i probably can't backup, so i can possibly take a picture of the settings or something along those lines.

Well, what you could do to back up the data is copy files such as documents and photos to a thumb drive (or any spare drive), or you can upload it to Dropbox or another online file upload service. Be careful where you upload your data! Also, please only make back ups of what you cannot find online (such as your private text documents) and download the rest after the installation (programs). This will reduce the size of your back ups drastically. What will be lost after the installation, however, is any thing you did not back up. In terms of saving BIOS settings, the BIOS will not be reset when you reinstall Windows. No point in copying those settings.

Jun 30, 2020
Well, what you could do to back up the data is copy files such as documents and photos to a thumb drive (or any spare drive), or you can upload it to Dropbox or another online file upload service. Be careful where you upload your data! Also, please only make back ups of what you cannot find online (such as your private text documents) and download the rest after the installation (programs). This will reduce the size of your back ups drastically. What will be lost after the installation, however, is any thing you did not back up. In terms of saving BIOS settings, the BIOS will not be reset when you reinstall Windows. No point in copying those settings.
ok, thank you very much. by the way, the only way i can wipe windows is to use the built in 'reset this pc' function in settings, due to my issue, so are there any repercussions to doing it this way? also, will EVERYTHING be wiped out-because i don't have a drive to back everything up to, but i have a few thumb drives so important things can go there- for example will only my windows install drive be wiped?

Jan 9, 2021
ok, thank you very much. by the way, the only way i can wipe windows is to use the built in 'reset this pc' function in settings, due to my issue, so are there any repercussions to doing it this way? also, will EVERYTHING be wiped out-because i don't have a drive to back everything up to, but i have a few thumb drives so important things can go there- for example will only my windows install drive be wiped?

Depends on what option you choose. There is an option that allows you to keep your files, but personally I would much prefer to do a complete wipe. Otherwise, there should be no problem with using the built in reset function. In terms of the question asking whether only the drive Windows is installed on will be wiped, that should be the case. However, as any one else will say, always make back ups. Never make the assumption that your data will be retained.