"Bad" memory cause computer freeze/lockup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Aye, i bought the Liberty 620w i linked in a previous post. Actually about to power down to install it right now. Just wanted to check this thread first. Cya guys in a few hours once i can confirm.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, PSU is in, very happy with it. Its ridiculously quiet, so far everything has been fine, but its only been a little while, i'll check back here tommorow to let everyone know what if anything happened.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Well, the freezes seem to be gone. Also with the new cable mgmt system, my vid card seems to be substantially cooler. Not entirely sure why. Never the less.

I did get a couple of BSOD's, the winxp equiv anyways, giving a:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

After some research, it looks like it could be A, the north or south bridge being too hot (this would be my guess) or B, the CPU overheating (doubtful as its usually 10-15c lower than northbridge temp).

Can anyone point me to some more "active" cooling solutions for my mobo? Right now there is just a row of heatsinks on the north and southbridge. So i'm not sure.

ROBO_DUDE

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
try puting this small fans but before you put this try puting a thermal grease first it will make your chips cooler than before i try it and it seems to work..

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (Ox0000001D, 0x000000FF, 0x0000001, 0x8054199A)"

The rest of it was text on what might be the problem, etc.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
try puting this small fans but before you put this try puting a thermal grease first it will make your chips cooler than before i try it and it seems to work..

I am going to try that, i just need to figure out how the hell to attach them.

I was also doing some tests last night. I loaded up a game i could safely alt+tab out of. Got both my Vidcard temp and Asusprobe II up to monitor temps.

CPU did great, went from 38 to about 43C after approx an hour. The mobo on the other hand went from about 47 to 58C, which is right about when it crashed. The vid card never broke 78c, which is about 5 degrees cooler than with the old PSU.

So it definitely seems like its the mobo. The default setting for the warning on mobo temp in Asusprobe is 60C, which leads me to believe that may be the problem.

Mondoman

Splendid
The CPU should slow itself down instead of overheating. Northbridge temps higher than the CPU do sound worrisome. I'd probably just try mounting a small fan on top of the NB heatsink; one of the stores with all kinds of stuff like this is xoxide.com.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
The CPU should slow itself down instead of overheating. Northbridge temps higher than the CPU do sound worrisome. I'd probably just try mounting a small fan on top of the NB heatsink; one of the stores with all kinds of stuff like this is xoxide.com.

You rock, heh, you posted this literally at the same second i posted my last message. And thank you so much for the website link.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Well, i've found several cooling solutions that say they work for the nforce4 chipset? Ok, found a review of my mobo:

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Asus_P5NE_SLI_Nvidia_nForce_650i_SLI/?page=2

Asus does leave mounting holes, however, should you want to apply your own third party chipset cooler. The Northbridge cooler also uses standardized mounting holes, so it's possible to remove the large aluminum alloy cooler to apply a different cooler on this chip as well.

So, hopefully i can resolve the problem soon.

Does anyone know of any active cooling solutions for it, i.e. with fans. All of them that i saw on xoxide with the exception of one were fanless.

Oh, also, side note. I turned my 120mm side case fan up to high, and it dropped the mobo and cpu temps by about 4C

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
jesus christ, wtf kind of shit is this:

"Interestingly enough, we found in testing that the board had a tendency to be more stable when using the "black" DDR2 slots on the board rather than the yellow slots, which is what Asus recommends if you're only using 2 x DDR2 modules. In terms of memory support, the board seems a bit quirky at this time, but when modules were placed in the black slots, we had no problem getting them to run at their fastest 4-4-4-12 timings and retaining full stability."

Now i get to pull my mem, everyone hope this solves my problem lol.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Well, after a couple days of playing and using the comp, it hasnt frozen once. Had a couple times where the comp just restarted. But i've been reading up and apparently the X-fi has a tendency to do that in the game i play. But, seems to be running ok.

Wanted to say thanks for everyone's help.

Rom@n

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I CAN SAY THAT AFTER READING ALL THE POSTS. I SEE EVERYONE LEANING TOWARDS RAM-MEMORY AND OR CPU TEMP. WELL I BELIEVE YOU ARE ALL WRONG. 10% OF THE TIME IT MIGHT BE A MEMORY ISSUE. BUT FROM WHAT I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE. THE PROBLEM FOR SYSTEM FREEZE IS RGISTRY ISSUES. JUST DOWNLOAD A FREE VERSION OG CCLEANER AND ALL PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED. CLICK WEBSITE BELOW. THANKS
http://www.ccleaner.com/

JKat

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
"Exhausting" the warm air is always better in the long run than trying to cool using extra "intake" air...just my .02cents :)

mrpan114

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hello everybody! I unfortunately am having the same issue as the original poster and would like to reactivate the thread to solve my problem if anyone can help.

It was surprising to find out that I have the same exact motherboard as the original poster.. a P5N- E SLI ASUS board. Now lol I've heard of the problem with using all 4 memory slots and I believe I had this same problem before I upgraded to two sticks with equivalent capacity (4gbs) I previously ran 4 sticks of 1gb memory. I recently wanted to upgrade to 8gbs because I'm now running windows 7 64-bit so I'm back to 2gbs x 4 slots. Annnndd I'm getting random freezes yet again. I went through all the trouble blaming it on a new video card I recently purchased, but then I remembered my previous problems with the memory on this board.

Now does anyone know if the bios for this board was upgraded to satisfy this problem? Or should I stick to 4gbs and pull out the 2 others.

BTW the yellow slots seem to work fine, its the black ones I'm having trouble with hehehe.

mrpan114

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
BTW I'm running Bios version 1301 and since there hasn't been any details on memory with updates after that I assume I should just go back to using two slots.

rpdon

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

I don't agree with the eliminating the ram I would check ram voltage against recommended by vendor, then go into bios check your voltage if it is on auto put it on the recommended voltage, memtest is not accurate tool. also switch around your ram sticks
chech timng should be around 3:10 ratio good luck