Bad memory or bad memory configuration or bad motherboard. I need help figuring out which one is happening

Kailido

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
So, i've been getting multiple BSODs daily related to memory problems, and i narrowed this down to these 3 problems in the title.

"Why not a driver problem aswell?" Because it also freezes before the actual OS boot even starts

First of all these are my mobo, cpu and ram specs:
Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Phenom II X4 965 BE
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz CL9

These BSODs have been happening for quite some time now, but they are being way more frequent, even when not having much load (like occasional freezes while browsing the BIOS settings)

So i decided to run Memtest while i had the 2 RAMs on my PC. Went to get some food, when i got back 45 minutes later it was frozen, with a bunch of white squares on the screen. So i decided to try with a single module. I found out that one of the modules didn't even got the PC to show the POST screen. So i switched to the other one and ran Memtest, and it got through 2 passes without any error. So i assumed it would be ok. I started doing my things and then BSOD. And i was like "maybe it's just this one". During that day it was. Then it became worse with each passing day.

So i decided to search a bit about the problem and i saw that i should try to run the module at 800Mhz instead of the 666Mhz that the mobo supports without OC. I setted the clock to 800 and voltage to both 1.5V and 1.55V in different times and got BSOD in both. So no matter the settings i use it keeps crashing. (Not sure if this matters but the Auto settings for the timing were 11 when OCed. The module is CL9)

Then i decided to give that "probably broken" module a try. I tried all 4 slots and there was one where it actually got past POST, but it didn't boot. So i decided to try running memtest on the "good" module in that slot and I got errors. And i was like "What? The other day it had nothing" So i decided to run memtest again but while on other slot, and it is still running right now on Pass 2 without errors

In my opinion it is a mobo problem. I really don't believe in a driver problem because it also freezes outside of the OS and i keep all my drivers up to date.

Also, if you want to know, i get multiple BSODs, like sometimes Memory_Management, other times Bad_Pool_Header, or irql_not_less_or_equal, or pfn_list_corrupt, with file ntoskrnl causing the BSOD (no, it isn't corrupted)

Any suggestions?

Kailido

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
UPDATE:
Not only 1 but 2 slots actually report errors, and both those slots correspond to a channel. the other 2 slots report no errors but i still get BSODs

I'll try to repair the windows files 1 more time to see if it helps, but I don't believe so

Kailido

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I did that and for a while it was working fine, then i got a BSOD, system service exception or something.

I can't get the dumps right now because the pc isn't booting, i have to wait a bit before running it again (no it isn't overheating, temps are around 50ºC or lower)

So then it restarted and 2 minutes after booting i got a Bad pool header BSOD, then it rebooted again, got another BSOD right after booting: irql not less or equal; and after this next restart i got another BSOD, then it wouldn't boot, it said that some file was corrupted (i'm pretty sure it isn't), i pressed reset and now it won't even get to POST

This is actually a comon occurence for those days that i get a lot of BSODs. I just have to wait a bit before starting it again. That's the reason why i can't get the dump files right now

Kailido

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Yes and No, i have a really crappy one that used to be on this system but i changed it for a better one

I had a Halfmman 600W and now i have a Corsair GS600W which is far better.

I changed PSUs because some months ago i was getting multiple freezes, and people suggested that it could be a power problem since the PSU i had was bad. Turns out it probably wasn't

Kailido

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
OK, so i'm really hinting for a MB problem right now. It shouldn't be PSU since it is a pretty good one without much usage. It's probably not RAM since memtest was fine for the 3 passes i ran on this module. It's not corrupted files because i reinstalled the OS.

My intiution tells me that the ripple from the other PSU damaged the motherboard and now it just can't handle the energy well enough even with a good PSU. What do you guys think?