Question Bad PC performance although good hardware?

Jan 14, 2024
Hi guys, how are you all doing today? I'm a new user here and I landed on tom's HARDWARE due to a, i hope so, problem to be fixed in my PC.
The problem in my pc starts when I try to play games, including League which is the game that I play the most but my pc starts running down randomly too. Looks like my CPU isn't working at full capacity and neither my GPU, so idk if its a driver error, bad BIOS configuration, bad energy retrieval or idk what but I really like to know what could it be.

Motherboard: A320M-S2H-CF with BIOS up to date
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (now that I'm writing this checking my PC with CPU-Z looks like it's capped in 1200MHz????????????? wtf)
GPU: RX 570 8GB

I don't know how to post images xd so here's a screenshot of my CPU in League taken via Lightshot and my RAM using just 1200MHz

If any of you could help me I would be more than thankful!
Goodbye and have a great year

HopefulToad

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (now that I'm writing this checking my PC with CPU-Z looks like it's capped in 1200MHz????????????? wtf)
This is nothing to worry about. CPU-Z is reporting the actual frequency of your RAM, not the "marketing" frequency. Your RAM is rated for 2400 MT/s, which, with DDR (double data rate) means the frequency is actually 1200 MHz.

Quoting from another one of my posts:

You can thank the marketers of RAM sticks for this confusion. Generally, when a stick is marketed at a given MHz, what they really mean is MT/s. BIOS interfaces can also misuse MHz, presumably in an attempt to avoid confusing customers not in the know, so that they aren't all like, "my RAM said it could go to 4000 MHz and it's only at 2000, what gives????"

RAM sticks used to be SDR, single data rate, and at that time the MT/s matched the frequency. But when memory was changed to DDR, double data rate, the MT/s became double the frequency. See https://www.cgdirector.com/mts-vs-mhz/

As for why your system wasn't working with XMP enabled, I'm not sure. I looked it up and technically your CPU is only rated to support 5600 MT/s on DDR5, so maybe that could be the cause?

Reactions: antuciampi
Jan 14, 2024
This is nothing to worry about. CPU-Z is reporting the actual frequency of your RAM, not the "marketing" frequency. Your RAM is rated for 2400 MT/s, which, with DDR (double data rate) means the frequency is actually 1200 MHz.

Quoting from another one of my posts:
Oh ok, thank you for that info! Makes me a bit less concerned. Do you know what else could it be then? Because if my RAM is not failing what is it then?

HopefulToad

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Well, the game might not be needing to max out your CPU. Are you experiencing low frame rates? If not, if V-sync is enabled then your CPU and GPU are likely not going to be maxed out.

but my pc starts running down randomly too.
Not quite sure what you mean by this, could you clarify?

If you want, you could try running UserBenchmark to see if your system is performing as expected. UserBenchmark isn't great for comparing different PC components and they have an obvious extreme anti-AMD bias in their write-ups, but the benchmarking tool can still be useful to see if your computer is really running slower than it should be.

Jan 14, 2024
Well, the game might not be needing to max out your CPU. Are you experiencing low frame rates? If not, if V-sync is enabled then your CPU and GPU are likely not going to be maxed out.
Well yes, I experience low frame rates on almost every game. Ftnite with less than 60fps (when I look at the sky it goes to probably 200fps or something like that but no one plays looking at the sky hahaha), League starts the match with almost 350fps and then drops down to 60-70fps, reaching bottoms of 40fps in some teamfights... And I think that my GPU should at least run them at, idk, 100fps each? but I might be wrong.

I'll run that thing that you recommend me and come back with updated info for you! Thank you

Jan 14, 2024
If you want, you could try running UserBenchmark to see if your system is performing as expected. UserBenchmark isn't great for comparing different PC components and they have an obvious extreme anti-AMD bias in their write-ups, but the benchmarking tool can still be useful to see if your computer is really running slower than it should be.
I'm not so sure what this means, but here it is.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67007155

HopefulToad

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
I'm not so sure what this means, but here it is.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67007155
That indicates that, at least as far as that synthetic benchmark goes, your system is performing more or less as expected rather than below what's expected.

The bar graph below each component shows the distribution of scores that everyone with that specific component got when running the test, with higher scores (further to the right) being better. The arrow shows where your score falls in the distribution.

Your CPU was at the 41st percentile, meaning that 41 percent of 2400Gs that ran the test performed worse, and 59 percent performed better. So it may be performing a little bit below what's expected, but not drastically so.

Your GPU is right where it should be, with only thirty-one percent of 570s performing better.

Your memory could actually be safely clocked at 2933, since the RAM sticks support up to 3200 and the CPU officially supports up to 2933. You would need to go into your BIOS and either enable XMP or manually set the clock speed. But this is unlikely to drastically affect the performance of your system. You might see a minor bump in frame rates.

Well yes, I experience low frame rates on almost every game. Ftnite with less than 60fps (when I look at the sky it goes to probably 200fps or something like that but no one plays looking at the sky hahaha), League starts the match with almost 350fps and then drops down to 60-70fps, reaching bottoms of 40fps in some teamfights... And I think that my GPU should at least run them at, idk, 100fps each? but I might be wrong.

Those frame rates don't seem terribly unexpected to me, but I can't say for certain. It depends on what graphics settings and resolution you're playing at. But if neither your GPU nor at least one of your CPU cores is being maxed out, then something indeed isn't right.

It's possible that your components are throttling their speeds to prevent overheating after prolonged high usage, with the UserBenchmark test not taking long enough for that to measurably affect it. You should try monitoring the temperatures of your CPU and GPU when gaming, and if they get really high (80-90+ degrees Celsius), that could explain the drop in performance you're witnessing. If that's the case you'd need to figure out what's wrong with your system's cooling (like inadequate airflow, malfunctioning parts, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: antuciampi