I recently built a pc consisting of:

ASUS ROG Poseidon 1080 Ti
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz
ASRock AB350M Pro4
16GB (8x2) 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 RIPJAWS RAM
250GB m.2 Samsung Evo 950 for Windows
2 TB HDD
Corsair AX760 PSU

When benchmarking and doing performance tests, almost everything looked perfect, 3DMark Firestrike score of 21k, Overwatch stable at 144fps 1440p, Witcher 3 stable at 80fps ultra 1440p. However, when I tried playing lower requirement games, such as League of Legends, I can barely maintain 144fps, usually dipping into the low 100's and struggling to stay stable. In CSGO, I get 200-250 fps, which I understand is playable, but I'm worried that something is wrong with my card, as many people with high specs get upwards of 500. Diablo 3 is the same story as League of Legends. Is it possible it's a CPU bottleneck? I also noticed something strange; lowering the resolution/disabling antialiasing has no impact on my fps, it remains the same. My GPU usage during these games stays under 25% at all times. Also, I tested Cinebench R15 and got a pretty low OpenGL score I think, ~100, while 3DMark, Unigine Heaven are both normal in scores. When I cap the fps, it actually goes lower as well in games.

Steps I've taken:
Uninstalled drivers using DDU, reinstalling.
Reinstalling games.
Reinstalled Windows.
Disabled NVidia Shadowplay.
Disabled XBox DVR.
Updating Ryzen chipset drivers.
Updating BIOS.
Setting to high performance mode in Window, also tried the AMD Optimized plan.
Setting NVidia control panel to prefer maximum performance.
Tested with and without V-Sync.

And before anyone says that 100fps is playable, I have a 144hz monitor and the stuttering and constant change is straining my eyes; I am also worried that something is wrong with my system and I've spent countless days contacting manufacturers and troubleshooting. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Solution
I dont have a solution for you, but you arent alone - a lot of people have see this with games like CS:GO and LoL on the 10 series cards, they just dont push the FPS like they should.

Its not a CPU bottleneck.

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016
That's clearly a CPU "Bottleneck". CSGO will not see a lot of improvement with more than 4 cores. Also Ryzen has lower single core performance so that's why you get less Frames than other people running a 1080 Ti. That's why lowering resolution doesn't improve your performance. Lowering resolution places more stress on the CPU. However you are getting over 200 fps which is good enough I think. You could try what this guy suggests if you want more.

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Not sure how people are getting 500 fps in cs go since its capped to 300, also why would you need any more fps than that, cs go is totally cpu based, my gpu doesnt even turn its fans on when I play it, I wouldnt worry

lucasphan

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

But what about the people running Ryzen who have weaker graphics cards, yet higher and more stable fps? My previous card on this CPU, an R9 390, was pulling 144fps constant on League of Legends. Now I've upgraded to a more powerful card with the same CPU and have lower framerates. Same with Diablo 3.

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
League of Legends and CS GO are not GPU based, you could probably put a 1030 in and would see minimal change, all cpu based, ryzen is all about the cores, not the speed, which is where intel is strongest

Consider this vidhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc2L3L4E73g . There are many more out there. Do you do a lot of rendering, video editing and other productivity tasks along with gaming? The 1700 is a great chip for that. Are you simply a gamer? The 7700K is great for that.

Tested with and without V-Sync.
Why? V-sync will just cap your FPS at 60fps or whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is.

I get a feeling you didn't do enough research prior to spending that money. Investing is much more rewarding.

lucasphan

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

I mean with and without v-sync I still can't get to 144fps.
And yes, I do video editing and photo work so I bought the Ryzen.

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Its just the source engine doing its magic

lucasphan

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

I understand that, but I was getting higher framerates while using the Ryzen 1700 and R9 390. Now I'm using the same Ryzen 1700 with a 1080 Ti and my performance is worse.

And games will respond differently with an AMD card or a Nvidia card or a GTX 9** card or a 1*** card. That is just the way it is.

to accept the things I cannot change And wisdom to know the difference.

This is a non-issue. No problem here. Keep walking. Nothing is malfunctioning. The most important thing is that you keep learning more about your PC.