Bad SATA DVD Writer or BAD Config?

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I believe I have a bad ASUS DRW-24B3ST, but want to be sure that there is nothing that needs to be configured. I have a new build ASUS Z97 Pro with this drive installed and Win 8.1 64 bit installed OK, along with other software. Am I correct in assuming that an Internal SATA DVD Writer requires nothing for it to just work? I believe that is the case now...especially for Z97 Motherboards and internal SATA DVD Writers. Am I wrong? I ask as I want to be sure that there is nothing more I can do before believing that this writer is just bad...here is what I have tried...

I have found that my the DVD Writer will read anything, but it will not write at all. I have tried CD's and cd rw and dvd rw. No media will write. I discovered this now as it was the first time that I tried to write. I can not imagine that in 64 bit win 8.1 pro there is anything to configure and I have tried several software packages including the one that came with the drive and even the built-in win 8.1 burner. When I try to burn, it also locks up the system and I have to power it down to start win 8.1 again!
Thank you,

You can actually flash the firmware in the drive if the Manufacturer provides it, though I'm not seeing an option on Asus' website. Your right about not having to configure anything, it should just "work". Sometimes there is special software provided for some extra options/features, but it should burn fine out of the box. You could try plugging in temporarily in another system if one's available, but it's sounding like it's going to need an RMA.

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Well, I was afraid of that. I asked ASUS and they DID give me an RMA, but I have to ship it back at my expense. Sure, pay $12 shipping to get a refurb in return for my new $24 drive! As far as I can see ASUS is still on rev 1.00 of f/w so I will see what I am going to do. I guess I can use it as a reader and just buy another one. It is supposed to be a good drive. I could try to cross flash it, but if it is a hardware issue it will not help and I will try to at least keep it as a reader...I think.

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Well, I did order a new one. That should work. I can cross flash f/w to this "bad" drive to see if that helps. There is a thread that gives you updated f/w that also makes the drive look like the OEM drive that it is based on.

Glad to confirm that this should have worked without any driver or anything.

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
New build is great! All new system with ASUS Z97 Pro, i7-4790k 512 GB 850 Pro SSD and 3 TB WD Black! Also 16 GB memory. Now my wife wants me to upgrade her system, but not sure it is worth it!