[SOLVED] Bad score for RTX 3090 FE on Unigine Heaven?

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hello, everyone.

I'm planning a new build and I just received my RTX 3090 FE. Since all of my other parts haven't been delivered yet I stuck the card in my current system to test it and make sure it's performing okay. Currently, it's paired with a Ryzen 1800X, but next week my Zen 3 will hopefully arrive. I simply set Unigine Heaven to the extreme preset and the score I got was 5115. I'm under the impression that that's a low score. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? Is it just because it's paired with the 1800X and that's why it's so low or is my card defective? Please help!

Thank you!

Solution
As I suspected.
It is way off, it's far from the real performance. It MIGHT be the case for 1080p but certainly not at 1440p or 4k. The CPU is being pushed a lot at lower resolutions, but in higher it gets a bit of slack. Here at tom's hardware there was a thread showing that even a 7 year old i7 4770k paired with a 3080 had small impact on performance at 4k.
Here is the thread: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

If you really want to see performance with specific hardware, you can watch...
As I suspected.
It is way off, it's far from the real performance. It MIGHT be the case for 1080p but certainly not at 1440p or 4k. The CPU is being pushed a lot at lower resolutions, but in higher it gets a bit of slack. Here at tom's hardware there was a thread showing that even a 7 year old i7 4770k paired with a 3080 had small impact on performance at 4k.
Here is the thread: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

If you really want to see performance with specific hardware, you can watch youtube videos with those specific hardware or something close to that hardware. There are plenty and you will get an idea of what you should expect, albeit some upload only when they get the highest score with max overclocks.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
As I suspected.

If you really want to see performance with specific hardware, you can watch youtube videos with those specific hardware or something close to that hardware. There are plenty and you will get an idea of what you should expect, albeit some upload only when they get the highest score with max overclocks.
So in your opinion what do you think of the score I got in Uningine Heaven? Is it too low and is my card faulty? Or is it just the card paired with older hardware? My main concern is my card being up to snuff. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So in your opinion what do you think of the score I got in Uningine Heaven? Is it too low and is my card faulty? Or is it just the card paired with older hardware? My main concern is my card being up to snuff. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Your score is WAY lower than what it should be, which is above 10k for sure. I don't know what your problem is though, I need more info.
What is your full system specs? Include make and model of your PSU.
Do you have latest BIOS, chipset drivers, GPU drivers and windows updates?
Did you use DDU when you installed the GPU drivers?
Did you try a new, clean windows installation?
How are your temps idle and while gaming?
Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here please.

Jan 12, 2021
probably the classic case of bottlenecking between cpu and gpu. before I upgraded my cpu, I used to run a R5 2600 on my new 3080 and it has severe bottleneck in some game mainly cyberpunk 2077 due to dlss rendering at 1440p or 1080p stutter like crazy. you can easily check with usage monitor on msi afterburner, usually it doesn't max out your gpu. I presume it would also has an effect on benchmark gpu software.