[SOLVED] Bad_pool_caller bsod then unable to turn on

MarkChia

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hi all. A couple days ago I got a bad_pool_caller bsod. Restarted, and the PC hung shortly after booting up so I long-pressed the power button to turn it off. Waited a few mins then tried to turn it on again but it hung on the boot screen where they show the MB logo and all. Again, I shut it down again and waited a while. From then till now it can't boot up at all. The lights and fans turn on for a sec then shut off, and it keeps on doing that until I switch off the psu manually.

I've tried reseating the ram, and pushing the cables in, but other than that I've really no idea what to do. Any ideas?

Gigabyte z270 gamingk5
I7-7600k
Palit GTX 1070 8GB
16gb Gskills trident z RGB 3000mhz (8gb x2)
Samsung evo 850 256gb SSD
Seagate 2tb HDD
Can't remember the psu model, will check and update

Solution
Solution

MarkChia

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
According to microsofte, the error related to the driver(s) or the memory (maybe). https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xc2--bad-pool-caller

If you added the new hardware recently, like any UBS device, or GPU, try to unplug it, boot the pc again, if you can, and you know that hardware causes the problem, and you should try to update the driver, if it has one.

Also may test the RAM, one by one , with memtest86. https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Ok so this morning I took out one of the ram sticks and it managed to turn on so I ran memtest and no errors were found. I shut down so I could run memtest on the other ram stick as well but it couldn't boot up. So I switched back to the ram stick that previously worked, and it also couldn't boot up. I've tried putting them in slot 1 and 2 to no avail. I'm thinking my psu might be the one causing the problems. It's a seasonic S12II-620Bronze.

Reduce the variables:

Pull ALL hardware not necessary to get to BIOS.

Pull the graphics card.
Disconnect hard drive and SSD
Run on 1 memory stick.

You may need a CMOS reset if you disabled your internal graphics for the 7600.

If the system can POST and you can get to BIOS correctly without those components, it may be those, though still could be the PSU.

Look over your motherboard carefully for bulging or leaking capacitors (tedious, yes)