Ballmer Indicates Microsoft Becoming More Like Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I doubt it. It may gain some popularity with gamers/enthusiasts over the next few years (with Steam coming to Linux), but I really doubt it'll ever become a major player on desktops.

You make it sound like he's not...

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Definitely sticking with Windows 7 now. Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and the OS release following windows 8 will be back on track with how most people use a desktop... with a mouse and keyboard and not touchscreen.

zaxe63

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Its looking more and more like its time to dump anything that is Microsoft. Widows 8 looks like trash; they took a step backwards when they decided to look like every other system out there.

G

If Microsoft brands a laptop, I hope that they at least put 2 thunderbolt ports on them, and keep the HD graphics drivers updated! Also, if branding a laptop means that all the OEM's crappy system software is removed and/or improved and integrated into the Operating system, such as hot keys, and wifi/bluetooth on and off, then fine by me! I have one Laptop whose function keys only work part of the time, dew to the lack of OEM support for updated software, and this goes double for Intel HD graphics driver updates to OEM customizied HD graphics drivers!

halcyon

Splendid
Apple has done it correctly in the past, and so has Microsoft...but they're both slipping. ...and MS, with products like Windows 8, is not comparing favorably with Apple. I'm sure it'll do better than Vista in the market but they need to work on their marketing and how this change is better than what came before instead of letting customers just fill in the blanks. Things like that are why MS is not like Apple, IMO.

G

As far as Microsoft and Apple controlling the operating systems on their branded hardware the DOJ and courts should make them offer users the choice of dual booting/installing over, the windows or Apple OS, with Linux or other operating systems! This may be good for Linux, as the OEM's that are in direct competition with a closed Microsoft and Apple ecosystem, may begin to support an industry standard version of Linux!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]I doubt it. It may gain some popularity with gamers/enthusiasts over the next few years (with Steam coming to Linux), but I really doubt it'll ever become a major player on desktops.You make it sound like he's not...[/citation]

microsoft doesn't have as strong a foothold as they use to.
linux use to be command line only, and made it nessassary to know the innerworkings of the os to install anything. now... its closer to windows than windows 8, in some distros.

gamers move to linux, software developers take a bigger intrest.
software takes a bigger interest, oem computers think why put microsoft on it?
oems start using linux as a system line, businesses start looking at it and wonder "why pay 1-300$ a computer for microsoft when everyone uses linux"
businesses use linux, pro software decided to move to it also
and microsoft dies.

this could happen over the coarse of 10 years.
more people use linux now than they use to use mac oses pre iphone.

i really see this as a possibly if the next windows doesn't return to a desktop friendly layout as a default.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
As long as they don't tell me what software I can install, I see no problem with them making their own hardware. Google does the same with their phones and android. It gives you an option for primo hardware minus all the bloatware.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Excuse, decent people of this forum, but I cannot hold down on this one, even though I read the whole article.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

Rant made, I take my leave.
Thank you.

G

I can completely understand there move towards controlling a bit more of the hardware space for Windows. Although the third party ecosystem is what has made Windows so popular and capable over the years, it is the same thing that has crippled it so badly. Look at all the crapware that OEMs install when you buy a new computer. That software is usually poorly written, poorly supported and greatly reduces system performance and stability. Microsoft has been telling OEM partners for years to be careful with the bloatware, but it has had no impact. If OEMs had listened and provided a vanilla Windows experience, then we wouldn't be witnessing this new trend by MS. Now MS is fed up of the junk that's packaged with their OS, so they are taking matters in their own hands.

Now I'm a Linux user and I don't fully agree with the closed source model. I prefer an open source system with more flexibility and control over my system. However, I respect microsoft for not choosing the status quo when it comes to their system. If they can provide me with a solid pure windows experience without all the crap, I might be tempted to give it another shot as a production operating system for day to day work.

G

I do not see Linux overtaking the Apple and Microsoft operating systems, but Linux as a third choice is totally necessary, if just to keep The Apple/Micosoft closed ecosystem in check! The OEMs need to get their poorly written system software houses in order, and their poorly supported software problems fixed!
If the OEM's profit margens are too small for good OEM system software support, the maybe a standardized industry spported framework of Operating systems, hardware drivers, and other software, may be the only way the smaller computer OEMs Will survive!

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I've not had a lot of experience with a lot of different distros, but I've never found any that felt like Windows. So far, the most 'noob-friendly' distros I've come across are Mint and Ubuntu (hence why they're so popular already), and while I can see them catching on with gamers/enthusiasts (as I said), I can't see the typical consumer wanting to use a computer loaded with one of them. You do still need to know how to use the command line even in Ubuntu and Mint.

gamers move to linux, software developers take a bigger intrest.
software takes a bigger interest, oem computers think why put microsoft on it?
oems start using linux as a system line, businesses start looking at it and wonder "why pay 1-300$ a computer for microsoft when everyone uses linux"
businesses use linux, pro software decided to move to it also
and microsoft dies.
The issue is that PC gamers are not a majority of the desktop market. Game developers and similar software developers would take interest, sure, but OEMs still likely wouldn't put Linux on their machines (maybe builders like CyberPower, though). I can't really see businesses moving that way, either (not in a 10-year time frame, at least).

this could happen over the coarse of 10 years. i really see this as a possibly if the next windows doesn't return to a desktop friendly layout as a default.
I guess I'm just not as optimistic as you, but as much as I don't like Windows 8, I really don't think it's going to fail as catastrophically as people are expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.