Ballmer Promises Windows 7 Slates by End of Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
And I will buy one! Hopefully a Moorestown device.
Edit: And Hopefully one with with 3/4G support and mobile service. Don't need a smart phone with one of these.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I could easily find my self using Win7 on a slate :p

Even if I have to give away speed, responsiveness, and design, the thrill of installing what the hell I want on my device is compelling. Way to go Microsoft (omg i just sounded as a fanboy). I will never purchase a console-class device like an ipad.

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
If the iPad didn't exist, it wouldn't be as "terribly important" as Ballmer said.

I don't get how these would apply for everyday use. Maybe in hospitals a modified, stripped down version could be useful, but as far as an everyday user? It's stuck in the middle ground between smartphone and laptop, and I'll take both of those over a tablet.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Never in a hundred years unless like a laptop I could wipe the Windows infection off the device and install Android or some other Linux based derivative.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
maybe im just being picky but, who wants to run office on a tablet? there are many better applications for it. in anycase windows 7 on a tablet is pretty cool, if i liked tablets i would get one.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
"If the iPad didn't exist, it wouldn't be as "terribly important" as Ballmer said."

True, but it's market forces that really drive the importance of such things...

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Little late to the game Ballmer. This should have been done about 5mins after the ipad launch.[/citation]

Late to the game? Windows tablets have exists for at least the last 5 years or more. And if you'd ever used one, you'd know why they'd want to try to get this latest iteration right.

Here's hoping they release an optimized version of Win7 and not just one of the current desktop versions on these new tablets.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I want a slate that can play hi def video, browse the web (incl. Flash sites), be at least as thin and light as the iPad, have WLAN, WiMAX, 3G, 4G, USB3.0, 40GB SSD and cost less than $300. It doesn't have to use Windows tho.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
A little late? Who cares, as long as it's better than everyone.

It won't be better than the Ipad, it's battery life will be half or less of the Ipad, they will weigh anywhere from 50 -150% more , and will be acceptable to many Viruses. There is very little a Microsft based tablet can offer that's not already available in the Ipad. I understand that they want to compete, but they fell a sleep at the wheel again and are over a year behind Apple so it's highly unlikely that they will ever be close to the Ipad in features and Price.

G

Once the tablets arrive, you have the option of continuing to use WIN7, or put Android X86 or MeeGo on them (both downloadable now)

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
The i-pad is for ppl who just want stuff ready to go with no thechnical knowledge required, the Windows tablets will be full hands on tech and mods to ur heart's content. Both have a place, though I do believe Apple got it wrong with the screen resolution and the restricted internet display. Other wise, the i-pad is nice.. we'll wait to see what flavours the Windows ones will come in. I am betting Sony will mirror the apple philosophy of stylish design only with higher res wide screen etc

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
And unfortunately I bet all these tablets will follow the disturbing trend that is happening in the convertible/slate tablet PC industry - namely the best screen you will be able to get is only WXGA (1280x800).

Why is that a problem? The whole point to a tablet is to use it in portrait not landscape mode. That means you are really looking at buying an 800x1280 screen.

Try this - set your computer to SVGA (800x600) resolution and start playing around with your programs. Most programs are horrible at 800 pixel width, and many require 1024 pixel width.

Adobe products are horrible at 800 pixels wide, many websites are no longer optimized for 800 pixel width (all those side bar ads... oh, and sometimes navigation menus), ArtRage and Corel Painter are designed for greater width, and even office products are not ideal in only 800 pixel width.

If you think I am nitpicking - it is very unnatural and unstable to hold a tablet in your arm in landscape mode. However, in portrait mode is is more like a pad of paper. Try it - get out a paper notebook, hold it in landscape mode, and start writing away.

The only thing that really works okay at 800 pixel width in portrait mode is Windows Journal. Not even OneNote (with all its possible side tabs) is ideal for only 800 pixels wide.

I guess what I am saying is the manufacturers are really missing the mark when they abandoned SVGA+ for WXGA. Sheesh - they could at least of made a tablet with a 14" WSXGA+ screen. Seriously, at $80 for either ArtRage3 or the academic version of Painter 11, laptop makers should bundle these with their tablets and a decent screen resolution and market it to artists: "How do you fit thousand of dollars of art supplies - acrylic and oil paints, conte, charcoals, pencils, pens, watercolors, chalk and oil pastels, ink and calligraphy pens, spray paint, and deco appliques along with canvas, cold pressed paper, handmade paper, rough charcoal papers, and much more - into a small backpack? Simple, buy our 15" WUXGA (1920x1200) artist tablet PC for a mere $2000! Not only will you save money on art supplies and save your back, but you'll never have to deal with nauseating fumes or messy cleanup again! Also great for students to take computer notes in chemistry, physics, or biology - don't use a laptop and a piece of paper, draw right on your screen... and make your professors happy by showing them you are taking notes rather than reading Facebook."

(BTW - the iPad is the netbook of the Tablet PC market... an underpowered machine that has its uses, but definitely not for a hard-core tablet user who doesn't want to spend $2000 on a 1600x1200 20 pound Cintiq 21UX.)

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Windows 7 Slates it has to be better than apple, since m$ get to see what apple ipad is like. I will put my money on google for offering a better tablet than apple and m$.

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I am definetely getting a Windows 7-Based Tablet. I am really leaning towards the Asus Eee Pad, while watching what Sony comes out with. No MaxiPad for me!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Requiemsallure[/nom]maybe im just being picky but, who wants to run office on a tablet?[/citation]
Err, anyone who uses MS Office files like Word or Excel?
So millions?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
not that i'll likely get one, but I'd like to see and play with a hp with web os utilising moorsetown to see how responsive it is, maybe in another year upon graduation i can get one :D

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Late to the game? Windows tablets have exists for at least the last 5 years or more. And if you'd ever used one, you'd know why they'd want to try to get this latest iteration right.Here's hoping they release an optimized version of Win7 and not just one of the current desktop versions on these new tablets.[/citation]

I have used one. They sucked. Thats why its a little late to the game. Thats why the ipad is doing so well. They dumbed down the interface, and made it easy to navigate with a finger. Microsoft didnt have a clue, and still doesnt. They are still going to put a desktop os on a tablet. Just like win mobile. Its frustrating to use unless you have a stylus. They have had the better part of a decade to get it right. They showed off a ton of tablets right before the ipad launched, none of them have materialized including the courier (their own tablet). The ipad sucks, and these wont be much better.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]If the iPad didn't exist, it wouldn't be as "terribly important" as Ballmer said.I don't get how these would apply for everyday use. Maybe in hospitals a modified, stripped down version could be useful, but as far as an everyday user? It's stuck in the middle ground between smartphone and laptop, and I'll take both of those over a tablet.[/citation]

Hospitals and medical clinics already use tablet pc's and have been for a while now.

It's the general consumer that doesn't really have any use for a tablet pc. The iPad is only a toy for adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.