Ballmer Says Windows 8 Will be Pretty Important

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]vincentyu[/nom]Windows8 = (Windows7 + tablet_interface) recompiled to ARM processors[/citation]
So then there's no difference for x86 machines?

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Only morons pay $300 for a retail copy of windows, but then since you don't know how to activate an OEM copy on a different motherboard and also got tricked into paying for a bootleg version....well....yea, I guess you would buy the $300 retail version lol[/citation]

If you consider paying normal cost shortly after Win7 came out, from amazon.com "being tricked" then yeah, ok, dick. As for "activating an OEM copy on another motherboard" I know of two ways, the way I mentioned (calling up and 'explaining your situation') or using third party software to illegally activate it, so I don't know where you get off saying I "don't know how." Next time think before you type.

eadthem

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Or just get Genuine LINUX, and the problem is solved. In fact almost all the problems are solved. Open SuSe FTW.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Windows 8 is really not new its windows 7 phone os redone for desktop pc's with added functions and call it windows 8.I hope they add more security this time most users i have seen get constant fake av infections even with kaspersky IS 2011 installed or any av for that matter.[/citation]
Since Fake AV are installed using the lack of common sense from the person behind the keyboard that ignores the UAC warning, I fail to see how Microsoft will ever prevent this from happening.

flowingbass

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
you can say all you want but pirated software has always been here for good. face the facts. even though i admit that software is most of the times overpriced because of piracy and it did hurt my wallet when i bought win 7 its like almost the same price as my video card. shit.

dreamcoyote

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
or get Microsoft Technet for ~$270 (watch for discount codes) and you can get the bulk of their software and multiple instances of each (some are limited to 1 or 2, some 5, etc). Licenses last forever but if you want to keep creating new keys you need to pay every year.
Since I put a bunch of different things on VMware Workstation and the one Technet covers OS/Office/etc for 2 laptops and a PC it makes sense for me.
overall it's a pretty good deal. just 2 copies of Windows 7 Ultimate and 2 copies of Office 10 make it an easy budget decision, plus VM's of Server 2008R2, WHS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.