Ballmer's Reason For Letting Go of Windows Boss Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

FYI he was super against Metro and the removal of the start bar. Ballmer wanted the OS to be dumbed down and more "Mac like"

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
The man who fixed Vista and had Windows 7 under his credentials according to other info I read is a huge loss for Microsoft considering that they now need him the most to fix the awful fragmentation that exists on Windows 8 between its Metro and Desktop interaction.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
He entered MS as a programmer and for years they kept promoting him all the way up to the top and only noticed recently he "didn't work well with others"? What a load of crap...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Well at least he got the fool Ray Ozzie out. The guy's claim to fame was riding Lotus 123 into the ground and then jumping ship on his Groove Networks employees leaving them with nothing.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
From this, I gather that Sinofsky was still in the mindset of independent Microsoft Business Groups required by the US Government Oversight that started with the loss of the Anti-Trust case for embedded IE in Windows. Since this Government Oversight has been lifted, the idea was to push Microsoft to become integrated top to bottom full team ahead, and Sinofsky's vision clashed with that... He took Windows 7 in a bubble, and made it awesome by taking the best parts of Vista and incorporating it into a lean mean OS machine... But Windows 8 should have been all about a fully integrated experience between phone, tablet, desktop and more. It does not appear like this was a success...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]m217866666[/nom]FYI he was super against Metro and the removal of the start bar. Ballmer wanted the OS to be dumbed down and more "Mac like"[/citation]

That's exactly what I was thinking first.
Boos has one idea, division chief a different one.
If both are the Type 'A' personality (and bosses usually are) you have
a problem. And we all know who is going to win that every time.

That's the Golden Rule of business, who, who has the Gold, rules :)

G

Sounds like Sinofsky didn't want to see Microsoft make the same mistake that Ubuntu did with its unity interface. He was adamant about it because he knew he was right. Now Microsoft is going to suffer.

Just another example of what happens when stupid has power.

[citation][nom]JimmySD[/nom]Sounds like Sinofsky didn't want to see Microsoft make the same mistake that Ubuntu did with its unity interface. He was adamant about it because he knew he was right. Now Microsoft is going to suffer.Just another example of what happens when stupid has power.[/citation]

Indeed, Microsoft like many these days is a house built on sand and come a storm only to wash it away.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Surely the thing that us the end user wants is a single cohesive system where everything works with everything else - a document created on Surface RT, syncs with skydrive, opens on my PC, edits it and syncs with Skydrive again, open it on my phone - if anyone was for being less integrated and wanting division then they should go because it is not what is in the customers best interests
Not entirely sure of the legitimacy of this story as the source is "a former Microsoft executive" and "Sources familiar with discussions" but if there is a grain of truth to this and Sinofski was responsible for the departures of Ray Ozzie and Bob Muglia then let's hope that if Sinofski has gone they are free to rejoin and keep doing great things
I want an integrated system that works, I don't care who delivers it and no one man is above the product

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Sounds like he was let go because he wasn't a Lemming like all the rest and actually stood up to Ballmer's dumb decision's. Guess the biggest sign of him being ousted is that PC's, Tablets, and Phones aren't " too divisive" at all.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I'm no Mac lover, in fact I am the opposite. But here is what frustrates me about Mircosoft:

They have so much talent, resources and innovative potential, but they seem to LOVE f**king things up!

Apple, or douche-bag republic as I like to call them, can nail a TV campaign, can nail a product launch, they can nail your frikken balls to the wall and you'd buy 3 of their products whilst hanging upside down from your sack. Yet, Microsoft seem to hear the crowd chanting "we want spaghetti!" and seem to think "wow, I think we should give them rice!"

So over it! It's frustrating as hell!

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]m217866666[/nom]FYI he was super against Metro and the removal of the start bar. Ballmer wanted the OS to be dumbed down and more "Mac like"[/citation]

Do you have inside information to back it up or is that your feeling ? I'm asking this because Steven Sinofsky's words on his letter to all Microsoft employees don't necessarily imply that, much the contrary, really:

The Windows team, in partnerships across all of Microsoft and our industry, just completed products and services introducing a new era of Windows computing. It is an incredible experience to be part of a generational change in a unique product like Windows, one accomplished with an undeniable elegance.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Steve Ballmer needed to be canned along time ago. With him at the helm Microsoft is never going to break out of the mold that they are currently stuck in. He's a business man, always was, he never had the leadership skills needed to run Microsoft in the first place. He's the equivalent of Eric Schmidt with Google, except Google's co-founders realized the company was getting unnecessary negative attention from a corporate jock who understood the business world but not the technology and passion that built the company to begin with.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I want an integrated system that works, I don't care who delivers it and no one man is above the product[/citation]

Looks like you want vendor lock-in, so when they finally do something you really hate, you'll just have to swallow it.

I on the other hand want my data available on every device I care to use, instead of being stuck in Apple's or Microsoft's walled garden.

G

Give me a PC with a Type 1 hyporvisor, and I'll choose the OS or multiple of OSs to run on my computer!

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]JimmySD[/nom]Sounds like Sinofsky didn't want to see Microsoft make the same mistake that Ubuntu did with its unity interface. He was adamant about it because he knew he was right. Now Microsoft is going to suffer.Just another example of what happens when stupid has power.[/citation]
Well, one of the main reasons Ubuntu went with Unity was because GNOME 3 was looking like a train wreck, and it was when it first came out (granted it's a lot better now). Ubuntu didn't have much of choice, and in hindsight they made the right call considering the refinements to Unity. It's something unique and now a main feature of Ubuntu. MS has a choice, and their just screwing themselves right now.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I like what you've said - "When Stupid has the power."

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Well, one of the main reasons Ubuntu went with Unity was because GNOME 3 was looking like a train wreck, and it was when it first came out (granted it's a lot better now). Ubuntu didn't have much of choice, and in hindsight they made the right call considering the refinements to Unity. It's something unique and now a main feature of Ubuntu. MS has a choice, and their just screwing themselves right now.[/citation]
Huh, I guess Canonical couldn't consider Xfce or KDE of course. So they had to go and make their own rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.