Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an older Dell XPS--400mghz, 384 mbg ram, Plextor cd burner dvd
drive, 80 gb HD and the supplied 14.4 gb HD, an adequate sound card,
graphics card, modem and an Ultra 100 ATA Controller card.

So, it seems like all I need is a new motherboard and newer memory
(that also fits in the new mother board)

It seems like it would be easier to buy a motherboard that is already
installed in a case with the power supply. There is nothing wrong
with my old case power supply etc. It just seems that it would be a
hassle to figure out wich one fits in my old case, etc.

I foud a barebones system at:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=624805&Sku=S450-3081&CatId=333

I am cheap! I am not a gammer. Can any tell me if this is a good
deal or suggest another approach.

Thanks a lot for any advice before I make the plunge.

Bob

Bob wrote:

> I have an older Dell XPS--400mghz, 384 mbg ram, Plextor cd burner dvd
> drive, 80 gb HD and the supplied 14.4 gb HD, an adequate sound card,
> graphics card, modem and an Ultra 100 ATA Controller card.
>
> So, it seems like all I need is a new motherboard and newer memory
> (that also fits in the new mother board)
>
> It seems like it would be easier to buy a motherboard that is already
> installed in a case with the power supply. There is nothing wrong
> with my old case power supply etc. It just seems that it would be a
> hassle to figure out wich one fits in my old case, etc.
>
> I foud a barebones system at:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=624805&Sku=S450-3081&CatId=333
>
> I am cheap! I am not a gammer. Can any tell me if this is a good
> deal or suggest another approach.
>
> Thanks a lot for any advice before I make the plunge.
>
> Bob

Personally, I have an instinctual aversion to dealers who sound like
carnival barkers selling tickets to the "Amazing Invisible Man!"

I'd suggest you look through www.pricewatch.com for barebones systems, if
that's the way you want to go.

And if money is a factor then you might want to consider an AMD XP system.
They're significantly cheaper for similar performance.

<Bob> wrote in message news:8qief05v7unnrfematd4eq62sipf7kkric@4ax.com...
> I have an older Dell XPS--400mghz, 384 mbg ram, Plextor cd burner dvd
> drive, 80 gb HD and the supplied 14.4 gb HD, an adequate sound card,
> graphics card, modem and an Ultra 100 ATA Controller card.
>
> So, it seems like all I need is a new motherboard and newer memory
> (that also fits in the new mother board)
>
> It seems like it would be easier to buy a motherboard that is already
> installed in a case with the power supply. There is nothing wrong
> with my old case power supply etc. It just seems that it would be a
> hassle to figure out wich one fits in my old case, etc.
>
> I foud a barebones system at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=624805&Sku=S450-3081&CatId=333

> I am cheap! I am not a gammer. Can any tell me if this is a good
> deal or suggest another approach.
>
> Thanks a lot for any advice before I make the plunge.
>
> Bob

Looks like a decent deal to me. I don't have any experience with Soyo
mainboards, but they probably are OK. The price is decent. -Dave

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message news:<SMRJc.69490$WX.25340@attbi_s51>...
> Bob wrote:
> >
> >> I foud a barebones system at:
> >>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=624805&Sku=S450-3081&CatId=333
> >>
> >> I am cheap! I am not a gammer. Can any tell me if this is a good
> >> deal or suggest another approach.
>
> Monarch Computer sells barebones systems, and I priced one at $305; you may
> find better at www.monarchcomputer.com. You can also find components at
> www.newegg.com.

Hello John, I work for Systemax Inc parent company of Tigerdirect.Com,
globalcomputer.com and dartek.com. If you give me a call or email me,
I help you with your search of a new pc and/or any other type of
technology. The Soyo combo set is a great deal and qty is limited.
Feel free to contact me directly or email me and I can assure that
your orders will be placed correctly.

Dominick S. La Scala
Corporate Account Executive
Global Computer Supplies
Corporate Sales Division
11 Harbor Park Drive
Port Washington, New York 11050
dlascala@globalcomputer.com
516-608-3212 Voice
800-446-9662 Ext. 3212
516-608-3586 Direct Fax

http://www.globalcomputer.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.systemax.com
http://www.systemaxpc.com
http://www.systemax.com/divisions.html
http://www.profitcentersoftware.com

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

<Bob> wrote in message news:8qief05v7unnrfematd4eq62sipf7kkric@4ax.com...
> I have an older Dell XPS--400mghz, 384 mbg ram, Plextor cd burner dvd
> drive, 80 gb HD and the supplied 14.4 gb HD, an adequate sound card,
> graphics card, modem and an Ultra 100 ATA Controller card.
>
> So, it seems like all I need is a new motherboard and newer memory
> (that also fits in the new mother board)
>
> It seems like it would be easier to buy a motherboard that is already
> installed in a case with the power supply. There is nothing wrong
> with my old case power supply etc. It just seems that it would be a
> hassle to figure out wich one fits in my old case, etc.
>
> I foud a barebones system at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=624805&Sku=S450-3081&CatId=333

> I am cheap! I am not a gammer. Can any tell me if this is a good
> deal or suggest another approach.
>
> Thanks a lot for any advice before I make the plunge.

You can find all of the components separately that TigerDirect is selling as
part of this bundle at www.pricewatch.com for a little under $400. So,
you're essentially getting all of that preassembled from Tiger for a "build
fee" of around $20-25 or so. Not a bad deal, then, provided that the
included power supply isn't too cheesy. The only problem I have is that
TigerDirect is pretty much the only remaining computer hardware vendor that
still forces you to piss around with rebates to get the advertised price. It
seems to me that almost every one of their prices has a telltale asterisk
after it. When I see that, it just tells me that the same item is available
cheaper somewhere else... and without having to waste my time and effort
applying for a rebate that I may never get (or that I will get in a couple
of months if I'm lucky). If you're looking for a good deal on a beefed up
barebones from a good vendor, you may want to try:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=YB16. It's going end up
around the same price, but without having to wait for a rebate.

Jim

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:35:05 -0400, "Hackworth" <spamless@nospam.net>
wrote:

>The only problem I have is that
>TigerDirect is pretty much the only remaining computer hardware vendor that
>still forces you to piss around with rebates to get the advertised price. It
>seems to me that almost every one of their prices has a telltale asterisk
>after it. When I see that, it just tells me that the same item is available
>cheaper somewhere else... and without having to waste my time and effort
>applying for a rebate that I may never get (or that I will get in a couple
>of months if I'm lucky).

One of the many reasons I'm a NewEgg fan. They typically show their
prices before rebate if there is one.

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Jim" <chief_jim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:35:05 -0400, "Hackworth" <spamless@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The only problem I have is that
> >TigerDirect is pretty much the only remaining computer hardware vendor
that
> >still forces you to piss around with rebates to get the advertised price.
It
> >seems to me that almost every one of their prices has a telltale asterisk
> >after it. When I see that, it just tells me that the same item is
available
> >cheaper somewhere else... and without having to waste my time and effort
> >applying for a rebate that I may never get (or that I will get in a
couple
> >of months if I'm lucky).
>
> One of the many reasons I'm a NewEgg fan. They typically show their
> prices before rebate if there is one.

Same here. There's not much to dislike about Newegg. :)

I also recommend http://www.newegg.com , and http://www.mwave.com as well.

I live in Florida and have ordered several times from each, but NewEgg
offers "free FedEX" on a lot of their items, which is an advantage over
MWave.

BUT if you live in California where they are located you will have to pay
State and Local Sales taxes.

I have seen several complaints about TigerDirect, which is in Miami, FL and
hence would never order from them

Phisherman

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:05:16 -0400, "Panos Papadopolous"
<Panos@athens.net> wrote:

>I also recommend http://www.newegg.com , and http://www.mwave.com as well.
>
>I live in Florida and have ordered several times from each, but NewEgg
>offers "free FedEX" on a lot of their items, which is an advantage over
>MWave.
>
>BUT if you live in California where they are located you will have to pay
>State and Local Sales taxes.
>
>I have seen several complaints about TigerDirect, which is in Miami, FL and
>hence would never order from them

Newegg charges Tennessee sales tax which is the highest sales tax in
the nation. Free FedEx helps, however. I'll try MWave.