Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
I was running some benchmarks on a CPU that I've had overclocked for well over 6 months, which crashed. I found it surprising as I had thought it was quite stable. Regardless, upon rebooting my system I notices my USB header controlled fan controller was unresponsive.

After hours of troubleshooting the only thing I'm left with is that in device manager I have listed under "other devices" an error for "Base System Device" the details of which only give me :

" Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_7C711462&REV_00\3&11583659&0&40 requires further installation."

Then I also have two errors listed under usb that are " Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I have two USB 2.0 headers. One was occupied by the fan controller, unplugging it left me with only one USB error instead of two. So I switched the controller to another header, which again gave me two errors.

I've reinstalled quite a lot of drivers, allowed windows to update itself, disabled and reenabled the driver with errors, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Spec:
Windows 11
i9-10900k in an MSI Unify Z490 Motherboard
RTX 3080
32GB 3600Mhz Patriot Viper RAM

PSU: NZXT c850 less than a year old.

Kingston 110GB SSD : containing windows, 20 GB free

Samsung EVO 512GB; For games mainly 80 GB free

WD 1 TB HDD: miscellaneous programs 761 GB free

Last edited:
Solution
Another possibility is perhaps some buggy or corrupted Windows file(s).

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

= = = =

Try a pattern of using USB devices. Use Device Manager to list installed devices. Especially USB. Ensure that under Task Manager > View "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Start with just the expected and needed keyboard and mouse. Work with them for some amount of time that demonstrates (hopefully) that there are no...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors of any sort that you can associate with the crashes.

Multiple and varying errors make the PSU suspect. Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors of any sort that you can associate with the crashes.

Multiple and varying errors make the PSU suspect. Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming.
Updated, but quite sure it isn't my PSU

Ralston18

Titan
What crash related errors, if any, are being captured?

Setting aside the PSU for the moment that 110 GB Kingston SSD is too small and likely too full with only 20 GB remaining. Is that the boot OS drive?

Likewise, the Samsung 512 GB drive may be becoming problematic as it is very full.

Where is virtual memory?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system resources.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when crashes are likely.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
What crash related errors, if any, are being captured?

Setting aside the PSU for the moment that 110 GB Kingston SSD is too small and likely too full with only 20 GB remaining. Is that the boot OS drive?

Likewise, the Samsung 512 GB drive may be becoming problematic as it is very full.

Where is virtual memory?

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system resources.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when crashes are likely.
I'll just clarify this first, this entire system, besides the drives is brand new.. less than a year old, all of it. The code windows gave me at the crash was irql_not_less_or_equal. A memory or CPU error I know. The thing is the crash was in Cinebench r23, but when overclocked like 6-7 months ago I used Cinebech r20 looped for a few hours to validate the stability. Where as r23 crashed withing a minute.

The Kingston is my boot drive and probably isn't in the best shape, sure, it's the oldest component in my computer but it's been close to full it's entire life, and it's reporting 73% life remaining.

The Samsung is literally nothing but games and game software, it's not relevant to this.. also has 95% life remaining, but the amount of storage taken up in the changes, probably weekly as I uninstall or install different games.

Crashes ARE NOT likely, I've had one crash in six months, and it's no more unstable now than it was then, apart from what seems to be damaged. The only problems are what I listed and it seems USB devices plugged into the the motherboard through the I/O are actually slower, like charging my phone went from about an hour to seven hours.

Resources being taken up are identical to what they were before. I like to think I take extreme care of my system. 1%-4% CPU, 20% memory with chrome and startup programs running, 0% disk, 0%GPU.

Temperature are monitored pretty much all the time, at the time of the benchmark my CPU was at around 85c, which is high sure, but typical work loads it never goes much about 70 - 72c but usually mid 60's.

I've never seen my GPU go above 70c either.

EDITING: Reliability monitor certainly shows a crash, and hardware errors, but offers almost no information about it. As for event viewer, really no idea what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Being "brand new" does not rule out some possible problem. In fact, I tend to trust older devices more than some of the newer devices etc. that have made in recent years.

I will go back to the PSU:

PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying system components. Any voltage output that is starting to falter and fail can and will cause problems.

Plus there is a "threshold factor". What may work at X% will fail at X-1 % or X+1%.

How many USB devices are connected? Any USB hubs - especially if not independently powered?

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Being "brand new" does not rule out some possible problem. In fact, I tend to trust older devices more than some of the newer devices etc. that have made in recent years.

PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to varying system components. Any voltage output that is starting to falter and fail can and will cause problems.

Plus there is a "threshold factor". What may work at X% will fail at X-1 % or X+1%.

How many USB devices are connected? Any USB hubs - especially if not independently powered?
I'll assume that you mean from the USB built into the motherboard and the case.

I have a headset charging cable, only used when needed for charging, the wireless receiver for the headset, a USB microphone, mouse, and keyboard. I also sometimes charge my phone via USB from my PC.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

Also, sure, brand new products can break just like any other.. but I don't think I understand your method... my computer is functioning pretty much as it always has, apart from the usb problems. You think the PSU is damaged based on a USB header on my motherboard not working? Maybe it's my owners optimism but could this not be a driver or windows/registry thing?

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

I managed to find a driver for my motherboards chipset, I missed it because I only sorted by "windows 11" and didn't check the windows 10 drivers. It fixed the "Base system device" error, I still have the USB headers giving me problems. One of the two errors for those went away earlier, for seemingly no reason, but neither work still.

Ralston18

Titan

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

= = = =

Try a pattern of using USB devices. Use Device Manager to list installed devices. Especially USB. Ensure that under Task Manager > View "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Start with just the expected and needed keyboard and mouse. Work with them for some amount of time that demonstrates (hopefully) that there are no errors or other issues.

Then add just one more of USB devices. Again work as before to determine that there are no errors or issues.

Keep going until some added USB device perhaps causes the error to reoccur. Unfortunately the problem could be some combination of any two devices so you must be methodical and try adding devices in different orders.

And as a matter of elimination try your USB devices on another know working computer system.

Try other known working USB devices on your system.

Determine if the error(s) follow any given USB device or stay with your computer.

Solution

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

References:

= = = =

Start with just the expected and needed keyboard and mouse. Work with them for some amount of time that demonstrates (hopefully) that there are no errors or other issues.

Then add just one more of USB devices. Again work as before to determine that there are no errors or issues.

Keep going until some added USB device perhaps causes the error to reoccur. Unfortunately the problem could be some combination of any two devices so you must be methodical and try adding devices in different orders.

And as a matter of elimination try your USB devices on another know working computer system.

Determine if the error(s) follow any given USB device or stay with your computer.
I will run the commands in a bit, but I've narrowed down that it's literally nothing but those two USB headers on my motherboard. None of the "hubs" of USB ports on the back of the mortherboard are not working. I have the fan controller plugged into one of these headers, and when I go to my BIOS I can see that it says nothing is plugged in there. Where as other USB ports it says it's my mouse, keyboard.. ect.. I too was thinking along the route of buggy/courrupted files.. especially after a driver update fixed the "unknown base system device" error that I got the same time as these USB errors.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

References:

= = = =

I meant to also say that the error is ever present. It's not the USB ports, but rather, the USB headers on the motherboard. All peripherals work just fine.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

References:

= = = =

The SFC scan now command did find errors and fixed them, just not the error I'm dealing with. The link you gave for reference for the other command is dead, so I'll try to do my own research and see if it help.

Update: I found some common scan health commands for DISM, but they found no problems.

Last edited:

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

References:

= = = =

In a fit of rage I completely reinstalled windows, it did not fix the issue. So... physical damage then?

Ralston18

Titan
May be narrowing down to just that.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU a suspect,

At this point in time I would go back and again very methodical troubleshoot and test everything again. Swap devices, cables, etc. as necessary to eliminate possible causes.

And if nothing is found then physical damage/a failed component would be the likely culprit.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
May be narrowing down to just that.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU a suspect,

At this point in time I would go back and again very methodical troubleshoot and test everything again. Swap devices, cables, etc. as necessary to eliminate possible causes.

And if nothing is found then physical damage/a failed component would be the likely culprit.
You know, I think I've come to the conclusion that the problem is the fan controller that's plugged into the USB header, and not the header itself. I briefly considered this possibility when it all first happened but I dismissed the idea, for some reason. I think the answer was staring me in the face this whole time, I feel kinda silly now.. but thanks immensely for your help. If you didn't show me how to check drivers with the command prompt I probably would have continued to blame my board, and not the controller.

I've come to this decision because the BIOS reads that the header is fine, and when I unplug the controller the error goes away.. but I somehow thought that meant it just wasn't being utilized, so, no error. I'll do some more testing but I'm pretty sure that this is it. Thanks again.