[SOLVED] Basic home networking queries.

Wlkanos

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
I understand that the forums rule say to search a topic before asking a question, and believe me if I knew how to word my questions better to find a working solution I would've, but I believe describing the issue is the best approach for me here.

I have an optical Huawei router provided by my ISP which works as in all in one, I pull ethernet cables from it to my PC, it sends dual band wireless signals, and it is an ONT in itself.
It has terrible wifi coverage, I am having issues around the house and as near as exiting the room (I tried switching channels or setting them to automatic but it didn't help), and while I could go with something like the Huawei Q2 Pro to increase the coverage I was thinking of a more semi complicated home network setup both for my own learning experience and pleasure.

Now the deal is, my current mbps provided by my ISP is 135, would it be possible to pull 4 ethernet cables from the Huawei ONT to a switch as uplinks, then pull one cord from the switch to another router as a downlink with 4x the speed? i.e 540mbps? Is there a type of switch that will let me manage this?

If this is not doable i'd still want to setup a home network with ONT > Switch > Router > Wifi Access points. What kind of hardware would you, the community, suggest? any learning material you can guide me to?

Last question is what would be a good alternative for the Huawei Q2 Pro? On what bases should I search for alternatives, if my goal is full control of my network + great wifi coverage??

I apologize for the overwhelming amount of questions and I appreciate all the help.

Solution
I understand that the forums rule say to search a topic before asking a question, and believe me if I knew how to word my questions better to find a working solution I would've, but I believe describing the issue is the best approach for me here.

I have an optical Huawei router provided by my ISP which works as in all in one, I pull ethernet cables from it to my PC, it sends dual band wireless signals, and it is an ONT in itself.
It has terrible wifi coverage, I am having issues around the house and as near as exiting the room (I tried switching channels or setting them to automatic but it didn't help), and while I could go with something like the Huawei Q2 Pro to increase the coverage I was thinking of a more semi complicated home...

kanewolf

Titan

It has terrible wifi coverage, I am having issues around the house and as near as exiting the room (I tried switching channels or setting them to automatic but it didn't help), and while I could go with something like the Huawei Q2 Pro to increase the coverage I was thinking of a more semi complicated home network setup both for my own learning experience and pleasure.

Now the deal is, my current mbps provided by my ISP is 135, would it be possible to pull 4 ethernet cables from the Huawei ONT to a switch as uplinks, then pull one cord from the switch to another router as a downlink with 4x the speed? i.e 540mbps? Is there a type of switch that will let me manage this?

If this is not doable i'd still want to setup a home network with ONT > Switch > Router > Wifi Access points. What kind of hardware would you, the community, suggest? any learning material you can guide me to?

Last question is what would be a good alternative for the Huawei Q2 Pro? On what bases should I search for alternatives, if my goal is full control of my network + great wifi coverage??

I apologize for the overwhelming amount of questions and I appreciate all the help.
No, you can't pull four cables from your router to a switch and expect 4X the performance. Why? Because if you have 135Mbit today, then the wired ports are already running at gigabit speed. So the limitation is on the WAN side of the router. Plus, to have multiple ethernet cables work as a group, you need hardware on both ends that understands that grouping. It is unlikely your ISP router has that capability.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
First the bigger picture:

ONT > Router > Switch > Wifi Access Points.

You can connected wired devices directly to the router and switch LAN ports.

Only one device (the router) should be configured to provide DHCP IP address ranges.

Devices should only have one network adapter enabled be it wired or wireless. Not both adapters at the same time.

My suggestion is that you sketch out and post a simple network diagram based on your requirements/expectations.

Include all devices and show the connectivity being used.

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Huawei router and switchl? They may include some representative diagrams.

TRENDING THREADS