Question Battery suddenly died while power connector had issues

natek

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 110s with Xubuntu I keep limping along. About 2 years ago it had an issue where the power socket's connection to the motherboard broke at the socket, causing flickering of the charger connection as would be predictable. I eventually was able to solder the connect back to functionality. The other week the problem came back, turning out to be the connection broken at the same spot. The other morning I was being lazy so I and didn't have time to go back in and fix it so I left the computer on its side to nudge the connection just so to try and get it to charge. When I came back it was dead and wouldn't charge. I soldered the connection again and now the power connection is solid, but the battery isn't charging. The computer runs but stays on 0%. Before this problem, it was holding a mediocre charge, but it worked.

It would seem like the battery deciding to not hold a charge at all coincided with the power connection getting broken again. Why, and how do I fix it?

natek

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
How old is the battery overall?

Leaving the computer on its' side may actually have caused some short and drained the battery.

Here is a link to start with:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht069480/

Note the input field for serial number.

Do not jump to any particular conclusion or action. Use the link to delve deeper into potential issues and solutions.

It's the stock one, non-replaceable, and about 3.5 years old. This computer is a true beater, it doesn't have to hold much of a charge, I just like keeping stuff going as long as I can.

The Lenovo support pages I can find from the link all deal with using their power management tool, i.e. performing what they call a battery gauge reset. There's not a Linux version and this thing is basically not able to run Windows even if I had it. Looking around, people have created various workarounds, but for Thinkpads and I have no idea whether it would apply to this machine. I could just try it I guess if the machine is toast otherwise.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately, the laptop with a stock or even proprietary (?) non-replaceable battery is a classic example of planned obsolescence.

Not being a Linux person I cannot fairly address the workarounds but will suggest as an overview that such things may cause more harm than good. Still it is an old laptop and you may have nothing to lose by trying.

One thought is to move your post/tread to Open Source.

Perhaps some Linux users therein will be able to comment and make relevant suggestions.

Reactions: natek