Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 MP Will Require Online Pass

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]PC gaming is NOT family friendly. It assumes every player is actually familiar with the game and owns it. They either play it through the Internet or a LAN party (though, lately the devs are killing the LAN completely). PC gaming is NOT about passing by the friend's house, seeing "a cool game" and immediately playing it; that's why where such a big market for consoles and I'm really happy I'm not part of one. I don't want to be playing co-op with someone unless they are into this game as well and know how to play it well.[/citation]

Wow that's a really warped and obviously ignorant line of thinking. You forget your meds today?

You think buying a game means a person knows how to play? lol. Ok bro, there are no bads on PC games. Everyone is pro because they bought it.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]You're either stupid or trolling. WAIT for a few months after ME3 or BF3 is out?! Frankly speaking, are you nuts? ME3 wait is long enough as it is, and if you wait for too long on the new FPSs, the server activity goes down. It would be a good idea for BF3, because then there would also be new AMD cards which would allow you to max out the game for cheaper, but for ME3, no wait is possible.[/citation]

LOL you're so dumb you mistake common sense for trolling.

Go find your meds please.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Wrong. Not "pro", but actually CARING about the game itself. If I would, for example, play ME3 co-op with someone, I'd prefer it to be someone who actually knows the game and loves it than some random friend who passed by the house and wanted to play this game with me because he saw it and likes the shooting.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Wrong. Not "pro", but actually CARING about the game itself. If I would, for example, play ME3 co-op with someone, I'd prefer it to be someone who actually knows the game and loves it than some random friend who passed by the house and wanted to play this game with me because he saw it and likes the shooting.[/citation]

Not wrong. You're just another kid that's mad that he can't have a AAA title 18 days after release for $5. If you really CARE about the game, support the devs and the companies thing bring them to you: buy the game new and move on.

And purchase of a game does equate to skill. So get off that horse already.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]is everyone here going to buy games used?[/citation]

The funny thing is, no! A lot of people on this thread bitching started by saying "I'M CANCELING MY PRE-ORDER! RAWR". Talk about comprehension fail.

This doesn't even effect people buying game new (like most of us do).

G

"because, after all, they get absolutely nothing from second-hand sales"
I don't see how this is true.

DarkBlue21

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

First off, I agree with most of what amk-aka-phantom is saying, but anyways. Go to http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy , they have a copy of the ToS stating what they can do, and like it says on that website, steam collects data as well, but not to that extent.

But I still have no clue why you are comparing PC and Consoles to me, I'm talking about an online pass. But either way, PC is not family-oriented, I mean PC does stand for Personal Computer. Its not meant for your whole family to play at the same time, but that is what consoles are for, it is more multi-player friendly.

Just get over yourself about how good you are at the game, frankly I just don't care. I play games to have fun, not so I can go around the web telling people I'm so good like you.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]areyoudum[/nom]"because, after all, they get absolutely nothing from second-hand sales" I don't see how this is true.[/citation]

Basically, if I sell you a used game, the game company does not profit from this.

In addition, the game company is running free-to-play on servers. Money is set aside from sales to run and maintain these free to play on servers. But further more, there is also the expectation that there will be an attrition rate, IE, not everyone who buys the game is going to play it nonstop for 2 years straight. This is factored in, because with less players over time, less servers will be required, and in turn less maintenance, which makes the online game cheaper to maintain for the company.

But if people who get bored of the game, sell their copy, in turn keeping that account active on the game server, then the company makes no additional money while having to maintain the server upkeep cost for longer.

There are only 3 realistic ways to deal with this.

1. Eventually shut down all the official servers and have only player-run and payed for servers.
2. Keep the official servers but charge a monthly subscription like MMOs do.
3. Do what they're doing now.

In the end, this is just a better alternative to keep expensive, official servers up and running, and not have to charge a monthly subscription.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]DarkBlue21[/nom]Blah blah blah[/citation]

My point was that you're castrating a company for trying to earn additional revinue to help maintain server costs (From people who will still pay less then what new-game buyers payed), yet don't attack PC gaming in general for obvious inequality in multiplayer functionality.

If you can't understand this, then I suggest you work on your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

I don't care that you're a baddy. I'm just pointing out that bad players tend to rage like you. Rage over nothing significant.

G

[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]The funny thing is, no! A lot of people on this thread bitching started by saying "I'M CANCELING MY PRE-ORDER! RAWR". Talk about comprehension fail.This doesn't even effect people buying game new (like most of us do).[/citation]

"like most of us do"

You have no clue.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Furthermore, if you don't like the idea of buying the online pass, you don't HAVE to buy it. You can still buy the game, used, and play single player at no additional cost.

If you want to play on their servers, add strain to their servers, add longterm upkeep cost to their servers, you need to pay their fee. Scoop-da-woop, end of story.

Now I'm going to go hit a different forum topic, hopefully one with more intellectually stimulating people participating. It's getting hard to breath around this cloud of stupidity and rage. Maybe all you tards should run over to your world of warcraft forums and complain about monthly subscription fees too.

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
For those saying this doesn't affect people buying new versions PLEASE EXPLAIN how this does not affect them?
Won't affect how we sell sell our game if we choose to sell them?Won't affect value of trade if want to trade?
-
"oh that's an EA game hold on dude you have to deduct $5 of the $15 I was giving you so it can cover EA's secondary fees."

Man are we lucky they don't sell cars or electronics!!! Could you imagine!?!?!?

DarkBlue21

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

LOL, in the beginning I thought we were just having a good debate, but now you just seem like a 12 year old kid of bends over for EA. And yes I do not want EA to earn more revenue, they are already making tons of money, but just because they want more money, we should all just agree and pay up?

I never told you to care if I was good or not in the game, you're the one who makes assumptions based upon a person's skill level. And what does "baddy" even mean LOL I never heard anyone call someone not good at a game a "baddy" lmao. And just because I disagree on what EA is doing does not make someone "raging" for whatever reasons you think that has to do with this.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gh0st[/nom]For those saying this doesn't affect people buying new versions PLEASE EXPLAIN[/citation]

Because it only effects the buyer of the used game, not the seller. Derp

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]DarkBlue21[/nom]LOL derp derp.[/citation]

Your stupidity is boring me.

They're just trying to find a way to pay for long term server maintenance without charging a subscription fee to everyone. And the fact that you can get in an uproar over a couple bucks is comical. Isn't it past your bed time yet? Get some rest so you have energy to mow the neighbor's lawn tomorrow so you can pay for the online pass kid.

Never heard baddy before. Great, you must be new to the internet.

N00b
Scrub
Peon
Newb
Nub
Nobody
No-Name

Bottom line: tough shit. Get a job.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Now read my posts CAREFULLY. Did I ever, EVER mention being unhappy with the prices?

... no :)

DarkBlue21

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

LOL, when did I complain about paying a couple bucks? I was going to buy the game new, the reason that I'm mad is because EA is trying to nickel and dime everyone. I mean if you are fine with living in the basement of your parent's house, then so be it.

Oh wow, a new word is created on the internet, I better go look that up and learn every term. Now go look up the dictionary

baddie or baddy
— n , pl -dies
a bad character in a story, film, etc, esp an opponent of the hero

Now go learn some new words on the web, okay?

Either way, you and I don't care what each other thinks, so whatever, time for me to go, thanks for the laugh.

G

[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]I can smell your rage.[/citation]

What rage? Your sense of smell sucks.

[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Furthermore, if you don't like the idea of buying the online pass, you don't HAVE to buy it. You can still buy the game, used, and play single player at no additional cost.If you want to play on their servers, add strain to their servers, add longterm upkeep cost to their servers, you need to pay their fee. Scoop-da-woop, end of story.Now I'm going to go hit a different forum topic, hopefully one with more intellectually stimulating people participating. It's getting hard to breath around this cloud of stupidity and rage. Maybe all you tards should run over to your world of warcraft forums and complain about monthly subscription fees too.[/citation]

The stupidity left with you.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Craptivision is worse my friend, with $15 for atomic map packs and don't forget Ubisoft, who are adamant on putting 'always connected to internet' DRM in their games. Many big developers are doing things that upset the gamers.[/citation]
Well, when the companies act like assholes, there's always bittorrent.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Plain and simple, all they have to do is make a great game, then make another one. This is getting out of hand with the nickel and dime'ing crap. Enough already...

G

This raises an interesting question: The pass will have to me linked to either my console/pc or my account. Let's say I have it on console and bring it over to a friend's house to play. Would I be able to play on his console with my game?
If the answer is you have to login to your console's online account then there's a simple fix (at least on PS3). Make a new online account just for this game, then if you sell it give the new owner that online account.
At 1st I thought well they are collecting revenue for the servers, but on 2nd thought that's BS! IF I own the game and stop playing it I'm no longer on the server. If I sell the game and that person goes online the server still only see's this as 1 player.
Me on server = X + 1.
Me off server = X - 1.
New owner on server = X + 1.
There is no new taxing on the server!
It's just greed on the publishers part. Figures it's EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.