Battlefield 3 Shows Up At GDC, Looks Great

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Bigmac80[/nom]OMG is it the right time to build my pc on April? What if i build my pc and it doesn't run it good enough ..[/citation]

If you can, hold off until AMD comes out with their new chips and Intel get's there chipset problem sorted.. that way if AMD has something competitive, it may be a better option, or if not it may at least drive the prices of Sandy Bridge chips down a bit. Also, same with video cards. You are going to need a pretty hefty video card for this game so I would wait as long as you can to make sure you get the best bang for your buck on a video card.

And to anyone else thinking about building/upgrading for BF3, definitely go for at least a quad-core processor. Bad Company 2 is one of the few games that really utilizes 4+ cores very well, where most games don't seem to benefit at all from more than 2. DICE is really stepping it up a notch with their Frostbite engines.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]From the makers of Crysis 2 and MOH. I have very little hope for this until I see it...[/citation]

Crysis is developed by Crytek, not DICE.

Also, MOH was targeted and developed with the console market in mind. BF3 will be designed more for PC. Hopefully they will do a better job with testing the game so it doesn't turn out plagued with problems like BF2 on release (most of which didn't hinder my enjoyment much anyway).

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]still not worth getting windows 7 for it[/citation]

What do you have against Windows 7?

You can make it look and feel exactly like XP if you like. When I first installed 7, I was able to knock my fresh boot down to under 500MB of memory usage with most of the Aero effects still enabled. You could probably do even better if you wanted. Also, considering you can get 8GB of DDR3 memory for under $100, that's pretty darn good.

And as for legacy software that the compatibility mode doesn't fix (which works for me about 90% of the time) there is always Windows XP mode if you have the Professional or Ultimate edition.

Senor Snarf

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I can't believe anybody is actually defending a $60 price tag on PC games. They have zero legitimate reasons to explain why they need an extra $10 from each customer, but they know they can do it anyway because MW2 has demonstrated that PC gamers are willing to get buttfucked just like console kids were when their game prices got jacked up at the beginning of this gen.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Don't know if anyone noticed but we have seen that map before in BF1 and BFOL. Don't get me wrong, I love those maps and there is obviously more depth and detail to these maps such as the interiors and balconies, but I have to say that it is a bit disappointing that they couldn't come out with new engagement areas. Oh well, lets wait and see what we get. Will still most likely get this though.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]What do you have against Windows 7?You can make it look and feel exactly like XP if you like. When I first installed 7, I was able to knock my fresh boot down to under 500MB of memory usage with most of the Aero effects still enabled. You could probably do even better if you wanted. Also, considering you can get 8GB of DDR3 memory for under $100, that's pretty darn good.And as for legacy software that the compatibility mode doesn't fix (which works for me about 90% of the time) there is always Windows XP mode if you have the Professional or Ultimate edition.[/citation]

try getting the windows 7 memory usage down to 40MB (pretty easy to do in windows xp)

windows xp mode doesn't offer full access to memory or multiple cores or proper hardware acceleration.

I personally dual boot windows xp and windows 7 but still use xp as my main os because it boots faster and is more responsive.

Windows 7 makes the hard drive speed bottle neck more aparent since most OS functions are much more read and write intensive than windows xp.

the memory hogging of windows 7 is not much of an issue now since even with 4GB of memory, it is more than enough to run any game with ample memory to spare even in windows 7

the main issue is the hard drive bottleneck.
Going from windows xp to windows 7 while using a 1TB WD black drive leads to a noticeable slowdown, things that loaded pretty much instantly, now have noticeable delays as the hard drive stays active for longer (more data to read)

Windows 7 really needs a SSD to seem snappy.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Senor Snarf[/nom]I can't believe anybody is actually defending a $60 price tag on PC games. They have zero legitimate reasons to explain why they need an extra $10 from each customer, but they know they can do it anyway because MW2 has demonstrated that PC gamers are willing to get buttfucked just like console kids were when their game prices got jacked up at the beginning of this gen.[/citation]

the prices for most games are a ripoff.

Movies cost more to make than games while also taking longer to make in many cases but are sold at a fraction of the cost compared to games while still making a ton of money

games should at most be the same price as a movie.

the reason why they are so expensive is because there people who are wiling to spend $60 for a game (they have basically accepted that price)

if people were willing to spend $60 for a pack of gum, stores all across the counter will increase the price of gun to $60

henry117

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
EA is releasing great games this year which would surely be able to take on COD. Battlefield 3 seems like a great game. Buy I have an urge to buy Crysis 2.

Now what to pick?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hope it runs good on my computer. I don't really want to upgrade for another couple years. Bad Company 2 used to play good, but it seems slower now ever since I upgraded from 8800 GTS to a 5770.

I hope they don't screw this game up. All I want is Battlefield 2 with Bad Company 2 graphics and gameplay. Probably my biggest complaint about BF2 is that the AA was absolutely horrible and worthless. I'd rather use a tow to shoot down aircraft than the AA. Plus they should add an AA class kit. And it was lame how a jet machine gun had pretty much unlimited range with the accuracy of a sniper rifle.

I hope they have commanders in it too.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
M4A78T-E Mobo, Ripsaw 8gb DDR3 1600 Memory, GTX 570SC EVGA, Phenom XII 1090T, WD Raptor 10K 320gb HDD. What do I need to upgrade to make this smooth, and please dont say anymore imac or apple > PC. Watching the fact that I blew 1.4k on my wife's imac to see her stutter on sims 3 make me clench my fists at apple for wastin my funds on crap hardware. Fast my @$$.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]quixilver1[/nom]Must download pre-release copy off of pirate bay. Stolen game of the year, definitely.[/citation]
Probably a lot of sarcasm in your post but anyways, multiplayer is the core of this game so pirating it would mean you get less than half the product.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]my old 5750 run crysis 2 on FULL resolution ok[/citation]
wtf is full resolution? Also 25fps during proper fighting is not "ok". You want at least 40, preferably 50 as minimum. And yes the human eye can see more than 25fps and first person shooters are a good example for this. Most can tell the different between 30 and 40.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
they made this for pc first in mind because they did a killing sales with bad company 2 ; it is a great game and combined with the fact that they put it on steam it sels well , so of course they care because they now know the pc gaming is a great market when you make great games so they are not crybabyes like cryteck , and its easy to dumb it down a notch and launch it on console aswell

juandon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
The only thing I am worried about with this game is the balance of jets and other aircraft. In BF2, it was stupid when people learned how to use aircraft like the jets really REALLY well. You might as well be a piece of meat on the ground. However, dice is doing well at balance. In Bad Company 2, you have the tracer dart to plant on choppers and tanks. The anti air in BF2 didn't work for Sh!t. If someone gets up in the air and has to be warry of a SAM going up their A$$ that would be great!

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
official requirements:

System requirements (minimum) #BF3 Windows Vista/7 C2D @ 2 Ghz Memory: 2 GB Video: 256 MB DirectX 10

twitter.com/DICE_se

Status
Not open for further replies.