Question Battlefield 5 really bad fps with 1080 ti

Reuns

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
I recently got a 1080 ti and upgraded from a rx 480, everything plays way better but battlefield 5, which plays way worse. I've looked at videos with the same specs and they get more than double mine. Even a 1050 ti with a i5 7400 runs better some how. I've tried every setting possible and still nothing.

SPECS
I5-8600K @ 5GHZ
GTX 1080 TI ASUS STRIX
ASROCK Z390 PRO 4
CORSAIR CX600 80+ BRONZE PSU
SEAGATE 500GB M.2
INTEL 120 GB SSD

Video

Last edited:

Matthew44

Prominent
Apr 28, 2022
Hi, i think this is due to an fps cap setting on steam or origin or what it is that your using. Right click, go to properties, and see if anything about an fps cap. Im not 100% sure, but see if this works. Hope this helps :)

Reuns

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
Ya..DDU for sure. If still a problem, run HWInfo (free) and play BF, then check HWInfo for temperature history (possible thermal throttling) and voltages (your Corsair PSU may be struggling)
I used ddu again, reinstalled drivers and still nothing. I tried drivers from last year aswell, even tried another 8600k to make sure that wasn't the problem. No thermal throttling is happening. Looks like my PSU could keep up when the 1080 ti goes up to 270 watts. Idk what it could be, 8600k and a 1080 ti should be fine, maybe little cpu bottlenecked but in bf5 its looking like a 1st gen intel. Here's this video, I tried 200% resolution scale and my PSU could handle the video card at max. Video

Reuns

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
your cpu is maxed, BF5 needs all 6cores for itself
you could turn off some background stuffs, that could somewhat help a little, recomended for this game is 8 threads, atleast on mine old ryzen 1st gen 6c/12t it did run okay
A i5 7400 runs the game better than me. Search up some videos with my specs, they get double mine easily.

A i5 7400 runs the game better than me. Search up some videos with my specs, they get double mine easily.
ye just checked .. gameplay around 40-60fps
and search google with this phrase: "i5-8600k battlefield 5 100% cpu usage"
youre not the only one...so once again, close bloatware running on your pc, game is CPU heavy, all those little stuffs installed on your PC reduces your FPS (rgb soft, msi afterburner, discord...etc)

you could post userbenchmark result, just in case your hardware is misconfigured, but since you say every other game runs fine, its your CPU who cant keep up

Reuns

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
ye just checked .. gameplay around 40-60fps
and search google with this phrase: "i5-8600k battlefield 5 100% cpu usage"
youre not the only one...so once again, close bloatware running on your pc, game is CPU heavy, all those little stuffs installed on your PC reduces your FPS (rgb soft, msi afterburner, discord...etc)

you could post userbenchmark result, just in case your hardware is misconfigured, but since you say every other game runs fine, its your CPU who cant keep up
I have no bloatware, trust me I've checked. Sure those people are getting 100% utilization but they aren't complaining about getting 40 fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
BF5 is quite cpu intensive, more so if cpu is already struggling and you put a gpu capable of even more frames which again increases cpu load further. Can try manage it by increasing details or limit frame rate to ease on the cpu. Monitor cpu usage whilst in game with Msi Afterburner or similar. Look at total cpu usage (labelled as cpu without a number in Msi Afterburner) and compare what cpu does with different fps values.

Do as suggested and run UB and link us to results page.

Do you use Geforce Experience? If so, check what settings it is adjusting because it can ott some like anti aliasing or resolution scaling.

Reuns

Commendable
Aug 7, 2019
BF5 is quite cpu intensive, more so if cpu is already struggling and you put a gpu capable of even more frames which again increases cpu load further. Can try manage it by increasing details or limit frame rate to ease on the cpu. Monitor cpu usage whilst in game with Msi Afterburner or similar. Look at total cpu usage (labelled as cpu without a number in Msi Afterburner) and compare what cpu does with different fps values.

Do as suggested and run UB and link us to results page.

Do you use Geforce Experience? If so, check what settings it is adjusting because it can ott some like anti aliasing or resolution scaling.
Here's the link UB

boju

Titan
Ambassador
UB looks good. Background usage low, no throttling and ram running at speed.

If you join an empty server or be situated with little activity does your fps increase? If it does, get your hands on a 8700k.

Watched your vid so i see you know how to use AB.