Battlefield V Closed Alpha: Early Benchmark Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the BF series, and have played them since the very beginning, but this one hasn't gotten me as excited as previous versions have. I do plan to buy it and give it a try, though. Hopefully the finished product will be another BF classic, but I am not sold on the new fortification-building feature. Seems a little cheap to me, but we'll see how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

May 3, 2018
Using DX12 on BF1 always gives me stuttering and at one time broke the game so that I couldn't even start it and had to clean install it!

Last BF game I bought was BF3. It was fun but terribly short campaign. I've never really cared for multiplayer/pvp so is was $60 for 6 hours of fun...not much of a return. Seems to be a trend with FPS and that is why DOOM was the last one I've purchased.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can only stare in disbelief at the minimum cpu requirements.
FX 8350 in the same tier as 6600k, when it(8350) was competing with sandys and ivys at the time?
Granted, Intel made such marginal improvements up to now due to being top dog for so long, and they still are... if price is not a concern. :/

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

That was perhaps most surprising to me as well. Looking forward to some platform comparisons when the game is out, particularly if it's possible to put together fairly consistent benchmarks in multi-player maps with 64 participants.

Averant

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
When Battlefield 4 was released, I was pissed! We were paying to be beta testers. The audio was out of sync(when it worked at all) the frame rates were horrific(I had a GTX 660 at the time, so it's not like it was a slouch at 1920x1080) on all settings, and the physics were just broken. And that doesn't even count the multiplayer, which was FUBAR from the get-go. Eventually, they worked out -most- of the bugs, but I swore I'd never buy a new game again. I'll wait until they either patch the ah heck, or until it's on sale. I will not pay full price to be a beta tester again...

Dice has a long history of leaving gamers, both PC and console (PS3/4 for me), with bad tastes in our mouths. I last had BF3 (PC) and liked it but the massive bugs reported with BF4, both single player campaign and online, let me sit that one out. It remains to be seen what we will be dealing with here when it goes gold. That said....

"Why no AMD cards? To begin, our closed alpha invite came by way of Nvidia’s PR firm, so we were already wary of running benchmarks that’d pit the two companies against each other. Then we spotted the following known issue on EA’s closed alpha forum: “[TRACKED] BFV - PC - Massive performance issue is present with the AMD RX series cards.”

^^I can see AMD card owners furious over this and making the same complaints they did when the first Project Cars was in development and they claimed that Nvidia GPUs were favored. That of course was not the case as Slightly Mad Studios (SMS) gave ten copies of pre-release games to each GPU maker to work with. Well guess what? As one who "invested" in an early release access to PCars 1 and was an active tester and contributor, according to SMS, only Nvidia proactively worked with the developer to fine tune game performance.

AMD was MIA. It took several patches to get AMD users to get payable frame rates, and even after the final one, AMD GPUs still fell far short against Nvidia GPUs in that game. PCars 2 on the other hand leveled that field and AMD and Nvidia GPUs perform similarly. I'd like to see what the story is here with Dice and BF5 and how AMD responded during development with them (if at all).

KD_Gaming

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I played about 5hrs in the closed alpha, while not much time, it ran flawless without any crashes for me on a gtx 970

Jul 2, 2018
All the maps in Bf1 that released after the basic maps not statisfied for all gamers that i know and that continue in bfv alpha. We need maps like amiens.. Ballroom.. Forest.... We need work in visual effect..
In bfv alpha when enter a house. There is prob. In visual. The speed damage of enemie fire hits is high
The visual of the soldiers not quitly good like bf1
The planes and the tanks is another story...
Bf1 better in everything

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I am sad they are still pushing DX garbage dx12 is a steaming pile of horse SH!T when they pushed Mantle the basis of Vulkan in BF4 and you do gain performance with it not lose like dx12 these companies need to stop catering to Microsh!t and stand up for open source open collaboration it is a much better end result.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
The reason the specs are in favor of an older 8 core is because frostbite 3 scales really well with more cores. I am willing to bet this game runs best on a 2700x over a 8700k even if that thing is OC to 5.1 or 5.3ghz.

How was that surprising? EA want's to sell games and most AMD systems are still FX...
Also the game is designed to run on 6 jaguar cores so any potato with at least 4 threads will be able to run it.

Jul 3, 2018
Disappointing to see no AMD results. I understand they are the minority but we need them to be successful to keep Nvidia honest, which they aren't.

The designers who worked on BF4 bailed on the game before most of the DLC content was finished (EA/DICEStockholm) to go work on their utter failure of a game in BF: Hardline. Had it not been for the valiant and life saving efforts as poured in by DICE LA in completing the DLC, listening to players' complaints, and setting up the PTE for new fixes to be tested, BF4 might have died shortly after release. I used to play the hell out of it though I stopped as other things took my interest. I'm on the fence with BFV and have that deep seated suspicion they'll pull the same nonsense again and perhaps that's the reason I'm leery about buying and may pass on it as I did on BF1.

Outside of that, it looks like my ol' 8350 is getting to be the bottom of the rungs despite it still handling most everything well. I'm just not quite ready to do a (largely) all-in rebuild to a new AMD setup and will hold off as long as I can seeing that multi threaded applications are becoming more of the norm now and the FX has grown better over time thanks to such improvements. If Zen 2 is still on track for next year at some point, that'll be my new foundation.

Apparently you missed this part:

"Why no AMD cards? To begin, our closed alpha invite came by way of Nvidia’s PR firm, so we were already wary of running benchmarks that’d pit the two companies against each other. Then we spotted the following known issue on EA’s closed alpha forum: “[TRACKED] BFV - PC - Massive performance issue is present with the AMD RX series cards.” We’ll revisit a head-to-head between AMD and Nvidia once the final game becomes available in a few months."

Sorry, but comparing one game that is only in Beta is not a definitive conclusion on where AMD GPUs stand. No matter the tier.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

There is that as well as it being beta still and most likely Nvidia has not had to much time to have their tweaks installed into the game yet which goes to show that if indeed the RX 580 was 33% faster than a 1060 it won't be by the time release comes around and Nvidia has their way.

Jul 5, 2018
1. what CPU and Ram were you using for the test?

2. 6600k is min spec but the 1300x is recommended, how does this make sense? Objectively the 6600k is better thant he 1300x...

Jul 5, 2018
1. can you please let us know what CPU and how much ram you were using?

2. looking at the spec requirements isn't tie 6600k better than the 1300x is every objective measure? how is it recommended for the 1300x and minimum for the other?

Game is designed for a console that has 8 threads so 8 threads are recommended and anything below will be considered minimum,no matter if it will run it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.