Battletech/MechWarrior

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Question. Are there any Battletech players here? If so what is the story with all these Mechwarrior CGames and Battletech Board/Other games?

I played An older one sometime ago and Mech commander. That was kinda Like Inner sphere vs. clans. I played Mechwarrior 4, This one was some houses fighting each other. I don't get it. Are they related or just seperate stories or something? Who are the good and bad guys? Its all so confusing.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The whole battle tech thing is one big soap-opera. Someone is having sex with someone's wife; the husband knows about it, and hires an assassin to kill the adulterer; the wife finds out the husband is responsible for the murder, and plots to destroy his empire by giving secret information to the rebel faction; while the rebels are attacking, the clans show up from 200+ years of 'exile' to conquer the universe.

Anyway, Mechwar1 and Mechwar2: Mercenaries told the best stories. Battletech (the original RPG comp. game) was good too. Mechwar3 rocked as far as the game/battle engine.

G

I've played MW2, the expansions of MW2, MW3, and MW4 ;) I love that series! But seriously there really isn't a good and a bad side. If you played MW2, you were part of the clans that are trying to redeem themselves, but Wolf and Falcon just end up annihilating themselves. If you played Mercenaries, you get to see how the different Houses are tearing themselves apart as well. MW4 is based in the Inner Sphere still.

Point is, all the stories are actually connected. From MW2 we learn that the Clans are invading again. By MW4 the clans have basically been takin care of, Smoke Jaguar at least. That is also how the Houses have access to the OmniMech technology, from the defeated clans =) Personally I found that MW2 was the most ground breaking, I remember that I actually went out and bought more RAM just so I could play that game. Makes me feel like an old man, LOL

Sample...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Does anybody know how well mech commander 2 plays?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I've been with Btech since the old board games, I used to read the books until the clans came, I actually preferred the Inner Sphere infighting and backstabbing compared to the boring clan drones.

Anyway the best Btech games (in my opinion) would be:

1. Mechwarrior (from the 286 days)
2. Battletech (waaayyy back in the 8088 days)
3. Multiplayer Btech Online (a AOL game that was one of the best online action/strategy games I've ever played, I still cant play the current Mechwarriors online because they are so far behind what that game was)
4. Mechwarrior Mercenaries
5. Mechwarrior 4
6. Mechcommander

The rest I didnt like too much. I still think that online play is pathetic. The insane customizing of Mechs take precedence over skill and tactics, the game is really not designed for multiplayer.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Actually I think MechCommander did have "some" tactical elements to it. I remember when I had to kill a fully healthy vulturemech with one injured raven and a couger also slightly injured. It was bit difficult. Also, There was a drop weight limit I think, so you can't just take all your heavy stuff.

I kinda cheated by playing a level over and over again, until that Madcat was mine. Are the salvage team so stupid to leave the madcat salvage on the field?

G

I remember the BattleTech games on AOL. You were right, it was absolutely awesome. I was part of the Smoke Jaguar Division of House Davion =) The strategy of the gameplay was amazing, it actually made a difference. I heard that they're coming out with a new version of the online BattleTech. Persistent universe, with graphics on par with that of MW4...

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Online play and tactics with Mechcommander were not to shabby, I was referring to the Mechwarrior games, where people run in endless circles blowing off each others legs.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I find it better playing in teams. I don't like playing one to one. If one player decided to keep on hiding, A single game can go on for too long or end in stalemate, even in quake like games.

today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 09/03/01 12:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
August 2009 GenCon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grendel3100/3834791725/in/set-72157622079694516/
August 2009 GenCon - Next generation BattleTech Developers (see poster at booth)
Also: there were 12 BattleTech Networked Virtual Reality Cockpit Simulators at GenCon
with the next generation software release.
For more of the story visit VirtualWorld.Com - community forum