News BeagleBoard Announce RISC-V Powered BeagleV-Ahead

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's overpriced for its performance, but probably good if you really want/need a RISC-V development vehicle and can't score something like the elusive Horse Creek board.

If you just want a fast/capable SBC, I'd prefer an Orange Pi 5 every day of the week.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
It's overpriced for its performance, but probably good if you really want/need a RISC-V development vehicle and can't score something like the elusive Horse Creek board.

If you just want a fast/capable SBC, I'd prefer an Orange Pi 5 every day of the week.
And another proprietary tinker-board "Form Factor".

It's like they intentionally want to be like Apple and go "Proprietary" anything and don't see the value in sharing a common standardized "Form Factor" or "Eco-System".

Apparently, from the common SBC Form Factors that I've discovered while googling.
MHTtegN.png

Apparently Femto-ITX is a thing

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And another proprietary tinker-board "Form Factor".
If it's primarily for tinkering, that's less of an issue than if they mean for it to be a mini-PC. At least, as far as I'm concerned. Because, what I really want is an ecosystem where we have lots of mini-PC boards and cases that are interchangeable (and not the Pi's form factor).

Apparently Femto-ITX is a thing
Yeah, that might be getting too small. What I'd like to avoid is having an awkward mix of connectors on all sides, simply because it's hard to find any other way to squeeze them all in there. The connector arrangement should basically be like a NUC's.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
(and not the Pi's form factor).
Basically how Pi & Pi-clones lack any sort of "Standardization".

Their "Standardized" Form Factor = YOLO, we're going to do this for this iteration.

Form-Factor Standards be damned, because we can do it that way, "Just Live With it (Puts on Sun Glasses)".

Yeah, that might be getting too small. What I'd like to avoid is having an awkward mix of connectors on all sides, simply because it's hard to find any other way to squeeze them all in there. The connector arrangement should basically be like a NUC's.

When you start getting into the Pico-ITX size and below, it almost seems impossible to avoid the random mish-mash of connectors on all sides due to how limited the perimeter is and usually the 4x corners of the Rectangle/Square PCB area is usually reserved for screw holes / bolts to place.

So you're really always going to have that weird connector on all sides behavior due to limited work space.

Some "Full-Size" connectors are HUGE, especially legacy ports that you want placed on it.

Short of using ONLY modern connectors that are physically tiny, you have to make a choice based on what board you pick and where the connectors are pre-mounted or where you want to place them if you do have an option.

Last edited: