Beam Me Up, Scotty: Scientists Theorize Star Trek-Like Teleportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickofthis00

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I don't know much about this type of stuff, but wouldn't teleportation technically kill you and just rebuild you atom by atom somewhere else?[/citation]

ya thats what Sheldon said

G

Just wait till all the rats and monkeys hear about this, im sure they'll be thrilled.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I don't know much about this type of stuff, but wouldn't teleportation technically kill you and just rebuild you atom by atom somewhere else?[/citation]

So they say. Hopefully they come out with the technology to transfer consciousness before they ever start human trials!

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Exactly. You are destroyed and (hopefully) reproduced at your destination . . . not certain how much I like the idea.

I'm with Bones on this one--"hav[ing] my atoms scattered back and forth through space."

Pgooch

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
[citation][nom]bombebomb[/nom]Will this make Next Day Air shipping cheaper?[/citation]

Thats what i was thinking 1 day turn into 15 minute shipping

G

BUS DRIVERS LIKE THOSE IN MONTREAL AND THEIR RUDE ATTITUDES PROLLY DESERVE TO LOSE THIER JOBS. I WOULD RATHER TELEPORT THAN EVER TAKE PUBLIC TRANSIT OR A CAR AGAIN

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I'm really not keen on the idea of personal teleportation even if they could get it right, but if they can efficiently do it around the clock with even a gram or so of inanimate matter then it would be a great way to keep space stations and satellites stocked.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Yeah you would be destroyed and then a perfect imposter would replace you at the other end. The imposter would be so perfect that even your friends and family wouldn't realise something was wrong. Actually they would be so perfect that even the imposter themselves would not realise that they are just an imposter. Just like moving a computer file doesn't actually move it but just copies and deletes the original. Nobody would realise that something was horribly wrong all along until one day mistakenly the original person is not deleted and then we end up with 2 of you both swearing to be the real original person.

This applies to mind uploading as well. So if you want to be near immortal you're going to have to count on Dr. Aubrey de Grey.

G

Think of this way, if your original body had cancer and other unwelcome conditions, your new body by going through the teleportaion machine, atom by atom deleting the unwanted stuff by a quantum computer, is rebuilt with a cancer/disease and maybe even mentally unstable free body. Then again, you might become a super hero with infrared vision with deadly mucus spiting abilities.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Some people have active imaginations, and some have a poor understanding of the application of this technology. This is a little fun. But, we are so far away from human teleportation that we can't even begin to understand it. Think about it this way - to even recreate a pencil via this teleportation method, you would need a means of collecting and arranging matter in its exact form to really be teleportation. In other words, it would be similar to having a 3D printer, thereby making teleportation nearly, not totally, outdated in terms of use in shopping. When you get to living beings, you are entering the metaphysical realm and questions about the existence of one's soul and consciousness. In short, these developments and theories may be interesting, but it's so far off and so improbable that it's nothing to got too excited about right now. Light-speed travel has fewer obstacles.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

As long as they are your exact atoms being transfered I don't see a problem with it. If it however simply breaks you down and then makes a copy elsewhere that would be truly killing you and just making a clone. In-fact the transporters on Star Trek are of the latter as in NG there was a episode where two Riker's were formed by transportation, obviously impossible if it was truly transporting someone and only possible by rebuilding. So every time you watch them teleport in Star Trek you are watching them die.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]emiliajackman22[/nom]Evan. you think Tony`s report is good... I just got a great Ariel Atom from earning $6751 this past 5 weeks and-in excess of, 10 grand this past-munth. this is certainly the best work I've ever had. I actually started nine months/ago and practically straight away began to bring in more than $82, p/h. I use this website, http://nyan.cat[/citation]
Let's use this guy as a guinea pig for teleporting, just in case he doesn't come back in one piece...

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]Think of this way, if your original body had cancer and other unwelcome conditions, your new body by going through the teleportaion machine, atom by atom deleting the unwanted stuff by a quantum computer, is rebuilt with a cancer/disease and maybe even mentally unstable free body. Then again, you might become a super hero with infrared vision with deadly mucus spiting abilities.[/citation]
The same process that can correct your health problems can also be used to program your mind . . . think about that while your imagining a cure for cancer. Just a little tweak, no one will even notice . . . "OBEDIENCE." Welcome to the brave new world of slavery to the state.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nuclearshadow[/nom]As long as they are your exact atoms being transfered I don't see a problem with it. If it however simply breaks you down and then makes a copy elsewhere that would be truly killing you and just making a clone. In-fact the transporters on Star Trek are of the latter as in NG there was a episode where two Riker's were formed by transportation, obviously impossible if it was truly transporting someone and only possible by rebuilding. So every time you watch them teleport in Star Trek you are watching them die.[/citation]
What's being transmitted isn't "atoms," it's data, reems and reems of 0's and 1's, so yes it is death and rebirth.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Clifford Simak's book Way Station talks about this. The main character lives in a way station which acts as an intermediate transport station. Underground are huge tanks of organic compounds the transporters use to re-create travelers. After a vistor leaves, the waste from the killed visitor is flushed into other holding tanks.

Rebirth and death in a matter of hours as the traveler arrives and departs on his way.

Great book, BTW, if you like his pastoral sci-fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.