Beginner overclocking for mid range rig...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zombiesmack

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
system specs

1.8ghz 1210 amd opteron
4 sticks 1 gig kingston value ram pc 6400
asus m2a-vm mobo
250 gig samgung hdd
1tb wd caviar green hdd
nvidia 8600gt
win 7 ultimate 64 bit

I recently brought this little beast out of the closet, and ended up buying win 7 for it becaus exp had gotten old and was curious of its productivity score... It actually has good scores (5.6) being the next lowest from the cpu and its at 4.6, i thought about it and have done some research and saw that some people were pushing 3200+ mhz from this little opteron it being a server processor and all, i updated my bios to the newest version that wasnt a beta 2301 i think.

what i'm asking is can anyone help me sort of step by step, or maybe has a good configuration in thier bios with a similar setup that could help me over clock this little guy? I'm not absent of knowledge but its limited, so go easy one me

thanks!!

i'm sitting with my laptop with the rig on my desk in bios setup if the answers come quickly, and feed back will be quick also

zombiesmack

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
lol we don't wanna create any paradoxes... i've always been pretty good at electronics with absolutely no training except stuff breaking and me (i'm assuming with luck) fixing them...

i'm noticing that as i increase voltage the mhz is going down as in i was at 1.400 volts 300mhz stepping 8x, and when i checked the configuration said i was at 2700 mhz, it failed boot so i bumped the voltage twice and tried boot twice, both failing, only achieving blue screen, the last was at 1.45 and the configuration said i was at 2400

zombiesmack

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
well crud... i think that i've found my answer... this setup might now allow for more than 2249mhz... it seems that is the ceiling, however it seems pretty stable at that and i can say i successfully overclocked something lol, and i learned ALOT from this and i really appreciate that knowledge. unless theres another idea because i stopped trying at 1.500 volts and ended up back to default because i dont wanna kill it just yet, maybe 2249mhz is my ceiling, i might mess with it later and try for more with smaller increments in mhz, but for now the wifey is giving me dirty looks as shes hungry... but thank you soooo much for this!!!!! if there's some way i can get you a badge or something let me know, and i'm sure down the road this tread will become a way for people to learn these important things about overclocking