Behold, The Return Of The Model F And Its Buckling Spring

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan

That price though... I thought my K65 was expensive! :ouch:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I have 3 PS/2 models from about 15-17 years ago: one for home, employer #1 bought one for me, I bought one to use at employer #2. Employer #1 later contacted me to see if I wanted the keyboard, since no one else was using it. I cannibalized one unit for parts, and am still using the other two.

They cost somewhere in the $300 ballpark, at the time. No fancy top case, but I did spring for the QUERTY/DVORAK key caps. All the keys even have their letters, except for the rubber ESC key (which is no longer rubber).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, the OP was referring to the model F which was the forerunner to my Model M. So maybe there is a tactile thing with the capacitive PCB over the membrane. ?? (but it's still ugly)

randomizer

Champion

I've got a beige membrane keyboard I bought from the local department store for about $30 more than 10 years ago (it has the XP logo on the Super/Windows key). It's pretty dirty, but it works fine and doesn't even have worn off letters. I've looked into buying a mech keyboard a few times but I really don't want to sink money into something I might hate.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
randomizer, sounds like you did pretty good. I've got the PS/2 type M, I'm going to buy a USB type M sometime soon. Got to have my bases covered, might buy 2 while I'm at it, never know when something goes away and you can't get it anymore. I've got 2 intellimouse explorer 3.0s for the same reason......

hardarse7

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I love my Model Ms, but have several backlit Cherry-key keyboards. If someone would just combine buckling springs with LED backlighting, we'd have the ultimate keyboard, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.