Benchmarked: How Well Does Watch Dogs Run On your PC?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The only thing I like half-baked, is cookie dough.

On a serious note, I am willing to bet the developer and publisher still consider this a successful release. This is because, under this model, they are able to deliver unfinished product. It will be patched later. There isn't the huge cost of printing DVDs and BDs for every single sale anymore. Optical drives are next on the PC extinction list. Better internet connections & digital distribution will kill most of that market eventually.

I think the backlash is primarily due to having the upfront cost of the game which leads you to believe you are getting a polished product.

How many articles have you seen about half-baked F2P+micro-transaction games?

leeb2013

Honorable
oh and multi monitor support is rubbish. No mention of that in the review. It just spreads out the existing field of view from 1 monitor to 3 monitors and crops the top and bottom, so it's all "zoomed in" 3x, basically making it unplayable on 3 monitors. What kind of retarded thing is that, it's like stepping back 10 years!

Jan 8, 2014

I agree, but many will disagree, yes its eating lots of GPU power because of the gigantic clusterfk of monitor, but some maybe even need it, for seeing enemies that are unseen, because the little one monitor, or overtaking unseen cars in racing games, and it even can increase productivity, like you can open microsoft excel and play dota at the same time, watch videos while doing backlog, reading an ebook while chatting etc etc

Jan 8, 2014

and dont forget sunny side up, they're better half-cooked.

Also, no matter how unfinished, unpolish a game is, if it makes you happy and its fun, its still great

I've never had problems this bad with any game. I expect it from a beta, but not something I've been charged actual currency for. I haven't touched it since a couple of days after it came out because I don't want to waste my time.

Does anyone know if they've fixed the low framerate and game-just-quitting-on-you issues? Have there been any updates recently?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Hey now, they're not bad once DRM is gone and posted on gog for cheap prices all patched up. There are lots of great ubisoft games on gog without all the issues. I wish people or review sites would go back and do a quick review after most patches are done for a game to show if it ends up going from say 70's at metacritic to 80's or 90's. Some games come out badly from the gate but get very good after play balancing etc but it's hard to determine which ones. Not a ton of money in :re-review sites I guess...LOL. All the might & magic games (rpgs and HOMM strategy etc) are great buys on any sale over at gog.

Other than that can't really argue against boycotting $60 beta games as I've been doing that for ages. ;) The last game I bought WITH DRM at launch was Wizardry 8 (bring back SIR-TECH! I'm crying inside... :( ). They removed the DRM with a patch though ;) Even on the way out of business they were a cool company :(

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
It appears that this game was not very 'optimized' by the game makers. It does not look that much better than Prototype 2 from a few years ago and in some ways looks worse.

I miss Sir-Tech and their style of RPG. The original Wizardry on an Apple IIe and then on the original IBM PC was the game that got me hooked on a lifetime of PC gaming. I miss the turn-based dungeon crawls. I also miss the original Forgotten Realms (D&D) style RPGs which took turn-based to a new level. I'm not a huge fan of what RPGs have become. Someone needs to create a good turn-based RPG. But I digress...

leeb2013

Honorable

I feel blinkered playing on 1 monitor, I like my horizontal field of view filled like other aaa games do. The only games which stretch the fov like watch dogs are games I bought for $5......for 10 games!

Even on 1 monitor the performance is crap and the graphics look nowhere near as good as the early demos. Still glad I only paid $38, that's all it's worth max.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
wait a minute im confused with the wording of this article

"Without the ability to test triple-monitor resolutions, I had to settle for the largest single resolution at my disposal, a QHD screen's native 2560x1440"

isn't UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution monitors a SINGLE monitor? please explain this? for I am very very sure a healthy fraction of tomshardware readers might if not thinking of upgrading atleast interested in what the fps might be on single 3840 x 2160 resolution

I just read this as an article from an other site.

Modder harnesses hidden files to improve Watch Dogs PC graphics

It seems logical to me, a modding community to imprrove a game's graphics.
But 2 things will make people that bought the game for PC, really angry.

1st the trully stunning graphics from E3 12, were just being disabled from the game in hte final version:
As it turns out, a number of impressive graphics improvements and effects were hidden away in configuration files that Ubisoft inexplicably disabled for the final version of the game.
2nd The new settings improve performance!!!!
It also claims to improve performance and reduce stuttering, which is something Ubisoft has yet to fix through an official patch.

As it seems with other words, ubisoft disabled the real ULTRA settings for PC and crippled the PC performance, on purpose. Why to make the game to look as bad as the XB1 and PS4?
So lets see how the official ubisoft will respond and try to apologise for their actions.

What a racket?!

neieus

Distinguished
After reading that just a day or so ago I implemented the mod and it does make a difference. I'd like to see what Ubisoft has to say about this mess but I'm sure whatever it is it will be full of PR BS.....

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Ubisoft is <Mod Edit> itself since ac4 if they are going to keep this way they will bankrupt.Ac4 was a nice game with good graphics but poorly optimizated i hoped for a patch but no.But now watch dogs plus its bad optimizated the graphics looks like ac3 wow the leaves that we saw in e3 2012 gameplay were flying now they are just part of the texture wow ubi wd story is also bit of a wooden and overrated they told us that the game will be nex gen it will have more situations to happen the only things are fixer contracts,gang hideouts criminal convoy and what else? Oh yeah the criminal missions which are all the same a guy puts a bomb and detonate it a guy with a bat waiting for the victim a guy with knife a guy with gun cmon ubi ffs you said it will have much things to do i play this c*ap from 2 weeks and i have done everything icluding side missions skyrim was ten time better in side missions still i hope ac5 and fc4 will be good as they look with good optimization though.

I've never really had an issue with a Ubisoft game prior to this release. I always thought they were pretty solid.

EA already has me irritated with their new releases. I think some of that disappointment carries over to other companies when they pull this crap. In my opinion, Watch Dogs is an exception when it comes to Ubisoft releasing products not ready for primetime, though I hope this doesn't become a trend for their company like it has for EA.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I'd bet it's true. There's always difference from previous presentations when a game comes ou.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Maybe I don't care about running the game in "Ultra" @2560x1440, maybe just High is good enough and 4xMSAA.

Every game has a different definition of medium, high, very high, ultra, extreme, etc... You can say a game is demanding just cuz the textures are huge when most people will never consciously know the difference between a well made JPEG and a RAW file. Maybe I'm saying "Ultra" a lot of times makes very little difference and cuz the games in half.

I would like to see both high (medium) and ultra (high) at 1440p and a screnn shot or a few of the quality difference.

raiyanahmed55

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I AM THE UNLUCKIEST WINDOWS & USER EVER THIS GAME WONT WORK I DONT MEET THE REQUIREMETS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :( :( :( :(