Question Benchmarks are fine but in games i have low GPU usage and low FPS ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fiziek

Prominent
May 23, 2022
I must say that I am completely at a loss and don't know what is happening with my computer.

Some time ago, I began to notice that in games like Warzone 2.0, I had fewer frames per second (FPS) than I usually did. After about an hour of playing, the FPS dropped by 30-40 and stayed that way. Despite the constant 70 reduced FPS, the game was completely unplayable and not smooth until I reset my PC. Then, for a moment, it was back to normal, but the same thing happened again.
I decided to do a full format and removed everything that could be removed. After the format, I installed basically no programs like NZXT CAM, except for an antivirus (Bitdefender).
When I started the game, strange things started happening:
GPU usage was no more than 28%, GPU temperatures were max 60 degrees, so it was definitely not overheating. Before the format, the CPU used 26%, and temperatures were also max 55 degrees. Now it uses around 50%. Everything looks like I have some kind of bottlenecking, but my computer is 3 years old, and this is the first time I have encountered something like this.
Even in the game lobby where I have set 90 FPS, it barely reaches 60. In-game, it's around 55 max.
It looks like something is blocking the computer's computing power, but on UserBenchmark, everything is working at 100%, and I have very good results.

All drivers are always up to date, the BIOS is the latest, and I have also installed older drivers for the graphics card with a clean installation.
In Witcher 3, I sometimes have a similar situation, only there, the situation is that suddenly, despite low temperatures, the graphics card usage just drops, and there is a slight drop in frames, and stuttering appears.
I will answer any additional questions, but I would greatly appreciate some help because I really don't know what to do, and I don't want to change my hardware.
I must say that my gaming friends don't experience this kind of situation at all

My build:
I play at 1440p on an LG 27GL850 27" monitor.
Windows 11
Mobo MSI z390 gaming plus
CPU i5 9600kf ( not OC )
GPU rtx 2070 super ( not OC )
RAM DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200hz 16cl 2x16GB CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
SSD SAMSUNG 980 pro 1tb
SSD SAMSUNG 970 Evo plus 512 gb ( windows )
PSU be quiet power zone 650 watt

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Fiziek

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Man... It was bitdefender, it's ridiculous how the f antivirus for 100$ per year can cause such issues... I don't know i bought already and what now I have to buy some other antivirus? Jezus Christ it's so lame...
Turning off antivirus shield didn't help i had to completely uninstall bitdefender from PC and everything worked in game....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Haha oh well, least you know now. Maybe Activision might get around to a fix...when we're all with walking sticks... Makes you wonder why antivirus would interfere with it in the first place. Thier Drm? Hmm

👽

Malwarebytes could be an alternative if you need a subscription. But Windows defender works well enough.

Feb 26, 2023
I must say that I am completely at a loss and don't know what is happening with my computer.

Some time ago, I began to notice that in games like Warzone 2.0, I had fewer frames per second (FPS) than I usually did. After about an hour of playing, the FPS dropped by 30-40 and stayed that way. Despite the constant 70 reduced FPS, the game was completely unplayable and not smooth until I reset my PC. Then, for a moment, it was back to normal, but the same thing happened again.
I decided to do a full format and removed everything that could be removed. After the format, I installed basically no programs like NZXT CAM, except for an antivirus (Bitdefender).
When I started the game, strange things started happening:
GPU usage was no more than 28%, GPU temperatures were max 60 degrees, so it was definitely not overheating. Before the format, the CPU used 26%, and temperatures were also max 55 degrees. Now it uses around 50%. Everything looks like I have some kind of bottlenecking, but my computer is 3 years old, and this is the first time I have encountered something like this.
Even in the game lobby where I have set 90 FPS, it barely reaches 60. In-game, it's around 55 max.
It looks like something is blocking the computer's computing power, but on UserBenchmark, everything is working at 100%, and I have very good results.

All drivers are always up to date, the BIOS is the latest, and I have also installed older drivers for the graphics card with a clean installation.
In Witcher 3, I sometimes have a similar situation, only there, the situation is that suddenly, despite low temperatures, the graphics card usage just drops, and there is a slight drop in frames, and stuttering appears.
I will answer any additional questions, but I would greatly appreciate some help because I really don't know what to do, and I don't want to change my hardware.
I must say that my gaming friends don't experience this kind of situation at all

My build:
I play at 1440p on an LG 27GL850 27" monitor.
Windows 11
Mobo MSI z390 gaming plus
CPU i5 9600kf ( not OC )
GPU rtx 2070 super ( not OC )
RAM DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200hz 16cl 2x16GB CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
SSD SAMSUNG 980 pro 1tb
SSD SAMSUNG 970 Evo plus 512 gb ( windows )
PSU be quiet power zone 650 watt

I had same problems yesterday and it looks like the last version of BitDefender is causing all the problems. After I uninstalled BitDefender, everything is back to normal.

I hope this will help you, cause I know how frustrating this issue is.

Reactions: boju

TRENDING THREADS